Finally, after years of dreaming, I started my first reef tank! anyways, I have a few questions about cycling...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay, so I put 1/3 piece of shrimp into the tank, along with the proper dose of bacteria from the bottle. I guess now I wait and watch what happens!
As for spotfin asking about the live rock at my LFS, yes, i can go get some eventually. This might be really stupid but I thought with the dry rock and shrimp and bacteria it should be able to establish a colony on its own? Or is it always better to boost it and get already established algae in there

View attachment 1400000

The LFS probably won't give any Live Rock but possibly give you some Live Sand.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Adding those products label live, is just to add some bio diversity and help to boost the cycle.
If you can get a small piece of live rock or some sand anything that comes in with it will soon spread to the base or dry rock.

Reactions: PGJE

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I did reef tanks for quite a few years and the last one I set up I used dry rock also. I was tired of all the pest anemones and other things associated with live rock. That said alot of those other things are actually benificial and hard to get without getting live rock. And unless you are super careful you'll still end up getting apstasia in your tank. I used bottled bacteria and straight ammonia. Cycled in about 2 weeks but I kept dosing with ammonia for another 4. When the diatoms went through their dye off I added fish but kept dosing the bacteria for a few weeks and when I added new fish. I'm guessing the diatoms show up nomatter if you use live rock or dry rock, I may or may not have added coral after the cycle was complete I cant remember. But once you get the brown dusting on the rocks and sand its a diatom die off and you should be cycled, test though.

Reactions: PGJE and tlindsey

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Yes, it will establish the bacteria on its own-eventually. Any live rock/sand/filter media will help speed up the process. You might even be able to scrape up a few pieces of rubble from a tank at your lfs.
As a side note, let your nose help too:) That is a lot of shrimp in a new tank so the smell might get a bit strong. Eventually you might want a cover on your tank as evaporation can change tank parameters rather quickly.

Reactions: PGJE and tlindsey

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
First sign of ammonia today! The shrimp is working! If I do the cycling correctly it should spike but then go back down right?

3A81DC04-2C38-48C5-BBFA-8FC2B59E4F48.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I'll say that is the most definitive ammonia test ive seen in a long time....lol. I usually have a hard time discerning that test. As tlindsey tlindsey said next will be nitrite. Then nitrate.

Reactions: tlindsey and PGJE

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Wow, from what I had read I got the impression that it would be at least a week before I saw any signs of anything, but I just tested for nitrites and got a reading for that already, is it normal for it to go this quickly?
Is it just the shrimp?

605797A6-F6A1-40CF-B648-29A23A472277.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Wow, from what I had read I got the impression that it would be at least a week before I saw any signs of anything, but I just tested for nitrites and got a reading for that already, is it normal for it to go this quickly?
Is it just the shrimp?

View attachment 1400307

Yes the decomposing shrimp is making the cycle faster .

Reactions: PGJE
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store