Finally, after years of dreaming, I started my first reef tank! anyways, I have a few questions about cycling...

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Ok, last night I took two of the turbo snails back to my LFS, they’re just too big! There, I also got my very first coral! I know a lot of people aren’t a fan of GSP because it spreads, but I plan to separate it from the main rock body. All of its polyps went out by this afternoon, and everything is looking good! This isn’t its final location of course

3A0C069E-709F-4992-B496-9E89850E8BDC.jpeg

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Just out of curiosity are there any alternative ways to secure coral to things? I’ll probably just use glue, but are there any other ways? String?

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Just out of curiosity are there any alternative ways to secure coral to things? I’ll probably just use glue, but are there any other ways? String?
never mind, I found a good spot for it and found a way to secure it. It sways in the current! ?

Reactions: twentyleagues

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Just checking, but I’ve noticed over the past few days that the polyps of the coral close at night... in the morning when I turn the lights on, they gradually open up again and it all seems happy and healthy afterward. I can’t find anything online, but I’m assuming this is normal?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Just checking, but I’ve noticed over the past few days that the polyps of the coral close at night... in the morning when I turn the lights on, they gradually open up again and it all seems happy and healthy afterward. I can’t find anything online, but I’m assuming this is normal?
Yes. Most corals close up at night be some open like nps corals for sure, alot of lps, even some sps will send out their polyps. But alot close up also.

Reactions: tlindsey and PGJE

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Ugh, everything is happy but the turbos seem to constantly wedge themselves between the coral’s rock and the glass, and push the rock over. How do you stop this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store