Finally, after years of dreaming, I started my first reef tank! anyways, I have a few questions about cycling...

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
.022 is kinda low for a reef, I would recommend closer to .025 for corals and invertebrates.
As for cycling, it just takes time you can add a pinch of food to help it get going.
Remember stability is where it’s at with reef tanks.
It can be done on small tanks, changes happen faster with smaller volumes of water so you will need to pay close attention to the water parameters once you start stocking.
I used a hydrometer to measure it, so might be inaccurate, but a refractometer should be coming in the mail anytime soon

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I got some live rock last night! Looks kinda out of place but makes the tank seem more alive.
anyways, the refractometer that I ordered came in the mail yesterday and I tested it, but there was something wrong... it showed pure fresh water from the sink as being 10 ppt, and when I measured the water in my tank it read as 10 ppt more than what the hydrometer said and What the salinity should be... is the prism angled wrong or something?

4DA53FEC-4F58-41A3-85E7-8A5C19EB5D9E.jpeg

Reactions: cockroach

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I got some live rock last night! Looks kinda out of place but makes the tank seem more alive.
anyways, the refractometer that I ordered came in the mail yesterday and I tested it, but there was something wrong... it showed pure fresh water from the sink as being 10 ppt, and when I measured the water in my tank it read as 10 ppt more than what the hydrometer said and What the salinity should be... is the prism angled wrong or something?

View attachment 1400876
Also, I was wondering, how long will it usually take for the algae from the live rock to spread on to the other rocks? Looks kind of weird right now lol

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
The refractometer needs to be calibrated to 0. The best way is to get calibration fluid. You can use distilled water but understand your salt lvl may be off a bit, not much but not correct. Also temp has some to do with it also if the glass was cold it may have been off a bit too. Room temp is fine.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Wow, from what I had read I got the impression that it would be at least a week before I saw any signs of anything, but I just tested for nitrites and got a reading for that already, is it normal for it to go this quickly?
Is it just the shrimp?

View attachment 1400307
I'm also surprised you have nitrite only within 1 week, but good for you.

I just started a cycle in a new tank and only have ammonia in over a week. I put two full shrimp in filter socks in my sump.

Reactions: tlindsey and PGJE

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
The refractometer needs to be calibrated to 0. The best way is to get calibration fluid. You can use distilled water but understand your salt lvl may be off a bit, not much but not correct. Also temp has some to do with it also if the glass was cold it may have been off a bit too. Room temp is fine.
Wow I’m just a genius aren’t I? WhY dOeSnT tHiS tOoL wOrK?
Anyways thanks! I probably would have put it away in one of my cupboards never to be seen again...

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Good news!! I’ve been testing every day for the past 2 weeks, and I think the tank has done the majority of what a cycle should do! The ammonia levels spiked, followed quickly by nitrites and nitrates, and over the past few days it’s lowered back down. Tonight it’s all at 0! Anyways, from the forums and sites I’ve read I keep getting different answers... cuc yet or no? The live rock had some tiny snails that it came with, and they have lasted just fine.

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
The algae’s going strong now so I keep the lights off

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store