Firemouth cichlid

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I've just added a 4-5 inch firemouth to my 75 gallon. Other than that I have a two jack dempseys 4-5 inches
Two oscars about 6-7 inches
And one black convict 4 inches
I am looking for a new home for the oscars atm but they are not my concern as they are completely docile same with my convict. My jds are pretty docile too just a bit territorial so that's what I'm worried about.
I am also trying to find a new home for the female jd so that should lower the aggression from the male right?
It's only been a few hours since I added the fm but I'm worried about it. Will an fm hold its own against fish like jd?image.jpg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Nope, a firemouth will be at the very lower end of the pecking order in that tank (most likely); they don't have the mouth strength to defend themselves properly.

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I should also mention that the jds were aggressive towards the con for probably just the first day then they settled down after that. Will it be the same case for the fm? I know there's no way of knowing for sure but any help just based on experience will be great

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
Nope, a firemouth will be at the very lower end of the pecking order in that tank (most likely); they don't have the mouth strength to defend themselves properly.
So should I rehome they firemouth?

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
Just watch and see what happens, my money is on it getting volatile with that mix; then you'd have to think about which ones to keep
well i mean i would much rather keep the jd so I will rehome the fm if it gets bad. What can I keep with the Jd? Everything i research is either too aggressive or not aggressive enough lol
or is the problem just the tank isnt big enough? if so then im gonna re home the Jd instead

Last edited:

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
Jacks are not to be taken lightly, some may be docile... but not yours by the sounds of it. Remember that the firemouth likely won't be much bigger than the convict full grown and doesn't have even a 10th of the fighting ability or toughness of the average convict.

Reactions: Sizzy905

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
Jacks are not to be taken lightly, some may be docile... but not yours by the sounds of it. Remember that the firemouth likely won't be much bigger than the convict full grown and doesn't have even a 10th of the fighting ability or toughness of the average convict.
yeah so my plan is to ultimately keep only the con and the male jd. hopefully the poor fm survives till i find it a new home, if anything my 10 gallon will have to do.

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
tank mates for con and male JD? I am interested in delhezi/senegal bichirs, some catfish.
But is there any cichlid that will work? pike cichlid just out of curiosity?

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
My suggestion would be to rearrange decor, in hopes of dispelling what the existing fish consider to be "their" territory. Provide lots of hiding spots and I'm almost certain the FM will be savvy enough to survive for awhile haha. If you notice an excessive amount of lip locking evacuate the FM ASAP. As convict noted they do.not possess the jaw strength to effectively defend themselves against any of your other fish for any extended period. Also watch the condition of the fins. If you see him getting shredded, I would evacuate. Jut need to balance it against the well being of the fish in a 10g tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store