Firemouth cichlid

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
My suggestion would be to rearrange decor, in hopes of dispelling what the existing fish consider to be "their" territory. Provide lots of hiding spots and I'm almost certain the FM will be savvy enough to survive for awhile haha. If you notice an excessive amount of lip locking evacuate the FM ASAP. As convict noted they do.not possess the jaw strength to effectively defend themselves against any of your other fish for any extended period. Also watch the condition of the fins. If you see him getting shredded, I would evacuate. Jut need to balance it against the well being of the fish in a 10g tank
yea I rearrange the decor every time i add a new fish haha i guess the jd's kinda just claim everything inside those four glass walls as their territory. There hasn't been any lip locking at all so i guess that's a good sign
and yeah i will most likely go with a delhezi, those guys look amazing. but are they able to get enough to eat?

Reactions: Tyler_Wentworth_150

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
I fed mine chunks of tilapia, large enough that the cichlids couldn't swallow em. They sank to the bottom then the Bichirs ate their fill. Have to remove excess to avoid water issues though. They are basically carnivores as I recall

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I fed mine chunks of tilapia, large enough that the cichlids couldn't swallow em. They sank to the bottom then the Bichirs ate their fill. Have to remove excess to avoid water issues though. They are basically carnivores as I recall
sounds simple enough

Reactions: Tyler_Wentworth_150

alecrromine

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2015
Kentucky
I'm my 90gal I have a l21 a male and female jd, a firemouth, and a convict. I know they have their scufflea, but I have yet to see any torn fins or dead fish my tank has a lot of hiding places and pants. It works for me and my tank. Jd are 7 & 9", convict is ~5", fm is ~4", and plec is ~13" and a 10" senegal bichir (i call him the nihilist, because he doesn't care about anything but riding the waves from the power head). It's been this way for at least 9 months. It can be done

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
yeah I removed the fm and the jd's a week ago. Now I just have the 2 oscars and the convict. Something very strange happen today, my oscars usually are best friends and i've never even seem slightly push each other. Today they were full out lip locking and flaring at each other. is that normal?
when i got them, they were the same size and since then, one of them has surpassed the other by an inch and is starting the fights as far as i can tell.

Fish100

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2015
United States Of America
Yes the oscars will fight from time to time but it will get worse as they get bigger being that your tank is to small for 2 Oscar and they don't have enough space to each claim as their own. I would definitely rehome those oscars or upgrade to a bigger tank a lot bigger tank if you want to keep the jd too

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
yeah i've actually been looking for a new home for both of them. im planning to keep only one large cichlid

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store