Krishanu Das

Feeder Fish
Dec 23, 2018
Hello everyone,

I currently have two flowerhorns, a male and a female. The male is about 5 inches and the female about 3.5. They were in two separate tanks for over 3 months, I recently added them in one tank with a divider, I took the divider out after 3 days and they were fine together for the first 24 hours, no lip locking or aggressive behavior, only tail slapping and they were going round and round in circles around each other. On day 2 there was a lot of aggressive behavior and they started hurting each other so I added the divider back in again. After that on day 5 the female started laying eggs, the eggs are currently brownish in color and only 5 have turned white. I tried to remove the divider to see if the male could fertilize the eggs but they started lip locking very aggressively again, I have put the divider back in again. Is there a way I would be able to spawn this batch of eggs ?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Was the divider egg crate?

If so males can easily fertile eggs thru them, if the place they are lain is close enough. And if so, taking the divider out after eggs are already there, might end up with either of the pair eating them.
Brown usually means they are fertile. If they turn bleach white, they are not fertile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store