Flowerhorn Help please** White fuzz/dots?!

BubbaFH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2020
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
71-80%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hey everyone ...

Tank 55g - only fish is this FH.
Aquaclear HoB & Marineland C360 for filtration.
Tank has been running for a year.
Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 50ppm (come out of the tap at 40)

For maybe 2 weeks my Flowerhorn has been pretty itchy .. didn’t think anything of it as I have read this is common behavior of them being a silly fish bumping into things or rubbing etc. He just would eat then lay around , very lethargic like and not himself
Well I was noticing his KoK had been shrinking on and off. It would come back and his color would perk back up too randomly , no changes in his tank is filter media.
Looking closer at him one about 3 days ago I noticed a white fuzz on his KoK and little white dots like you can see In the photo.
I got general cure, Erythromycin, & Paragard for general deworming & hopefully remove this ich/bacterial infection. I have dosed this for 24 hours now , doing the 2nd dose tomorrow.
Heat is increased to 86, & I did a large 70% water change which he tolerates.

Any help please!!

***This picture just shows him healthy and brand new to the tank. I have barebottom and have had bare bottom now for a month.
52BD12C6-91D3-48FC-B197-915459CA2141.jpeg
This is when I first noticed the fuzz like stuff on his KoK .. it had been more prominent. The driftwood had a similar fuzzy like stuff on it so I removed that from his tank . AB1C7107-520E-4293-8AC6-1E18A7F62077.jpeg

***This is currently . 1336FE3F-5EE4-4310-A081-99CF86AED7DF.jpeg

B3AAB839-1FE2-4916-9487-0498D09087C7.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Hey everyone ...

Tank 55g - only fish is this FH.
Aquaclear HoB & Marineland C360 for filtration.
Tank has been running for a year.
Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 50ppm (come out of the tap at 40)

For maybe 2 weeks my Flowerhorn has been pretty itchy .. didn’t think anything of it as I have read this is common behavior of them being a silly fish bumping into things or rubbing etc. He just would eat then lay around , very lethargic like and not himself
Well I was noticing his KoK had been shrinking on and off. It would come back and his color would perk back up too randomly , no changes in his tank is filter media.
Looking closer at him one about 3 days ago I noticed a white fuzz on his KoK and little white dots like you can see In the photo.
I got general cure, Erythromycin, & Paragard for general deworming & hopefully remove this ich/bacterial infection. I have dosed this for 24 hours now , doing the 2nd dose tomorrow.
Heat is increased to 86, & I did a large 70% water change which he tolerates.

Any help please!!

***This picture just shows him healthy and brand new to the tank. I have barebottom and have had bare bottom now for a month.
View attachment 1431617
This is when I first noticed the fuzz like stuff on his KoK .. it had been more prominent. The driftwood had a similar fuzzy like stuff on it so I removed that from his tank . View attachment 1431622

***This is currently . View attachment 1431618

View attachment 1431619
Looks to be ich to me. To treat I would personally lower the temp down to around 76-78°F to allow the meds to take affect. At high temps most meds will be useless, they just diffuse too quickly in warmer water. The only time ya want to be at higher temps is after the fish has recovered or if your trying to breed it. Also 86 is a bit high for FH's, generally I find it's best to keep em at 80 at most.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can’t see the ich but it does look like fungus on the head area a bit. Paragaurd will treat potential Ich. I’d reduce the temp as certain fungus and bacterial infections can thrive. Keep doing water changes. If not better than add some api fungus cure and stop the erythromycin.

BubbaFH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2020
Oh so you believe around 82 would be a good temperature for this?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
76-78°F would be a good temp to start medicating at. It's low enough to slow the ich's growth rate and allow the meds to take affect, while still being warm enough to where the FH isn't going to be uncomfortable/stressed anymore then it already is.

Once the fish is cured I'd wait an extra 2-3 weeks to make certain it won't come back right away before bringing the temp back upto 80-82°F.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Since ur dosing with meds. 78 is fine as already mentioned.

water_logged

Feeder Fish
Sep 6, 2020
I'll start by saying I have very limited experience so this may be random but I did see similar fuzzy white material on a FH after he injured himself by banging into the tank lid...it was localized to the injury (can't tell if it is localized or not in the picture). Probably a long shot but thought I'd mention it. It went away as he healed up...

BubbaFH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2020
Good deal guys. I’ll reduce temps & continue for a week or so post medication.
Thank you. I’ll be sure to follow back.

BubbaFH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2020
1599454938369.jpeg
My girlfriend took this picture of him today while I’ve been at work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store