Flowerhorn- need opinions on what breed I possibly have

Law3125

Feeder Fish
Jun 22, 2020
I'm looking to see if the opinions of other fish keepers match up with what I was told my flowerhorns were by the shop. I know to expect color changes but I'd like to see what what breed I'm possibly looking at. I'll attach a couple pics of each.

received_296157098221441.jpeg

received_556993034991561.jpeg

received_1145371492501771.jpeg

received_194272778582068.jpeg

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Look like Kamfa to me....and those 2 top pics kinda look like one heck of a nice female (breeder mindset here...lol)

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Law3125

Feeder Fish
Jun 22, 2020
Look like Kamfa to me....and those 2 top pics kinda look like one heck of a nice female (breeder mindset here...lol)
Lol wasn't trying to ignore u or anything jus wanted to wait for some opinions but u called it same as the shop, we definitely had the same mind set tho have u been thru the process before?

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I dont know all the minor differences in them but that is one great looking flowerhorn!

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Lol wasn't trying to ignore u or anything jus wanted to wait for some opinions but u called it same as the shop, we definitely had the same mind set tho have u been thru the process before?
Which process? Figuring out what fh I have or breeding them? Quick answer...both...lol. Breeding them can be a challenge. Most of the time your female has to be much smaller than the male or they'll just fight to the death if neither can gain dominance. I've found females tend to be the more vicious of the two. As far as breeding kamfa, I haven't had success doing it yet. I'm trying to start more towards the beginning though as finding a male kamfa is like finding a needle in a haystack. If you do find a proven fertile male though, it'll take some real deep pockets. The aggression part stated above is just through what I and many others I've learned from have experienced. Every fish is different. Then you have those 'fish whisperers' out there with community fh tanks that blow my mind. If I could get that to work on a long term basis I'd have a lot less water changes to do.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Which process? Figuring out what fh I have or breeding them? Quick answer...both...lol. Breeding them can be a challenge. Most of the time your female has to be much smaller than the male or they'll just fight to the death if neither can gain dominance. I've found females tend to be the more vicious of the two. As far as breeding kamfa, I haven't had success doing it yet. I'm trying to start more towards the beginning though as finding a male kamfa is like finding a needle in a haystack. If you do find a proven fertile male though, it'll take some real deep pockets. The aggression part stated above is just through what I and many others I've learned from have experienced. Every fish is different. Then you have those 'fish whisperers' out there with community fh tanks that blow my mind. If I could get that to work on a long term basis I'd have a lot less water changes to do.
I'd agree with that statement of females generally being more aggressive then males. The way I always thought about it was that if the female can beat up the male age will outright refuse to breed with him do to him not being fit enough to protect her and the eggs/fry. When I had my breeding pair, even when she was ⅓ his size, she would still beat on him and lip lock with him just to keep her lil cave to herself. Eventually when they did pair up they had no problems being with eachother but the moment food hit the water she would wait for him to grab the food and then beat him up just the steal it. Once they had fry tho the tables turned and he became the more aggressive of the 2, he often chased her away from the fry just so he could grab a pellet and crush it up for the babies without her trying to steal it from him. Granted tho when it can to cleaning the tank I was always on the other end of his abuse, he'd bite me everytime I took my eyes off him and would draw blood everytime. The female however would cower and hide in her cave and left her hubby do the protecting lol.

Currently I have their 2 children still and the biggest girl act like a coward but is secretly a murderous psychopath when it comes to tank mates while her lil sister is a very interactive fish and will refuse to eat infront of me just to keep my attention.

Reactions: Ozzie73
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store