Goliath update...

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Horrible news but you gave that fish a good life and grew it to an impressive size.
Tyy brother I appreciate it! I tried my best with the knowledge I learned and gathered from a few other guys that were or had been on the same.path I was taking and applying that information to grow the biggest gatf I could! None of this would have been possible without others paying it forward in information and inspiration so that's why I am always open to sharing what I've learned with the next person that wants to do the same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Lost the lower one a year ago, floating upside down one morning, not sure why it expired. The top one bit the dust some years ago. They were both over 2ft long.

Going to wait till I set up a huge tank before I raise these up from fingerlings again...these things need a really major sized tank. They never make it otherwise

View attachment 1510518
Beauties! Are they stuffed in this pic? Such a shame to have lost those fish I feel ya brother on the pain of losing these unicorns! 😢

exoticfishguy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
somewhere
Beauties! Are they stuffed in this pic? Such a shame to have lost those fish I feel ya brother on the pain of losing these unicorns! 😢
The top one was done by a taxidermist in Newport Beach CA who does lots of game fish. Lower one went into the trash can after that photo.

I had another one I grew out that bit the dust at 2ft long, happened about 3 years ago...didn't even bother with photos, straight to the garbage.

I'm done with these fish until I get the building permits for my home remodel...then will get a group to grow out for real

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
So sorry for your loss. He was an absolute unit and I have definitely enjoyed following along over the years.

Not sure how the rest of your tankmates would take light brackish (~1.003), but I'd consider a school of Giant Trevally. One of the coolest fish I have owned, super quick and hit floating pellets really hard on the surface.

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
The top one was done by a taxidermist in Newport Beach CA who does lots of game fish. Lower one went into the trash can after that photo.

I had another one I grew out that bit the dust at 2ft long, happened about 3 years ago...didn't even bother with photos, straight to the garbage.

I'm done with these fish until I get the building permits for my home remodel...then will get a group to grow out for real
Damn yeah I can understand that one bud. I had a 2'+ one I lost when I was out of the country. Our flight got delayed by one day and that day I wasn't home a piece of equipment's connection snapped off, lost like 80% of the water and by the time my mother in law stopped by later that day the gatf and I had a 2'+ tig both dead. When she called me the morning we were flying back to the US I damn near lost it in the terminal and told her to remove both fish and discard them before I get home because if I see them I will definitely lose my ****! That was 3+ years down the tube, then u already know the deal on this one I originally posted about. I always told people that atf especially gatf are heartbreakers and u have to be able to deal with losing them at any given moment for whatever reasons and sometimes no reason at all! I don't blame u bud I would do the same thing and give it a rest until u can provide them an appropriate enclosure. Doing so is what gave me the better advantage advantage of keeping him alive this long..the post of the other tank that is Indonesia, I speak to the guy once in a while on FB, I thought u were him originally that's why I asked u that lol

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
So sorry for your loss. He was an absolute unit and I have definitely enjoyed following along over the years.

Not sure how the rest of your tankmates would take light brackish (~1.003), but I'd consider a school of Giant Trevally. One of the coolest fish I have owned, super quick and hit floating pellets really hard on the surface.
Ty brother I appreciate it! Yeah he definitely have me a run for money, that's for sure! Lol Supposedly there is a species of GT that can live in pure fw that come from a lake in Indonesia or Philippines maybe somewhere else don't recall exactly but as far as creating a specific gravity of 1.003 in there I don't know if they would be able to handle it long term. I do however, only when needed add in water softener salt if I see them acting strange or not as I usually expect them to be, but it runs on a drip system so the sale would eventually be flushed out and if I added in marine salt the same thing would happen.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I know I have already shared sentiments on fb with you, but I have followed this thread for many years now. Sad to see it close.

I’m happy you are keeping your head up through it all. Hopefully the bass can treat you well.

I know how heart wrenching it is, I have had so many losses this year, I haven’t even had it in me to even post about it all yet. This is my first time on here in almost a year. When I had my losses, I had to drop fb all together for about 6 months.

better days ahead brother.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store