Green Terror Sexing and aggression problems

AustenN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2018
Hello, I have recently ran into some issues with green terrors and aggression in the tank. I have a 55 gallon tank currently with all juvenile cichlids.

-1x 2.5" Firemouth
-2x 3" Green Terror (One slightly larger than other)
-1x 2" Jack Dempsey
-1x 2" Common Pleco

The tank is decorated with numerous caves via table rock and various rock formations that are often swam through. The lighter white colored GT was presumed a male until it layed eggs around a week ago. The same day we quickly bought what was assumed to be a male juvenile and put him in, along with a tank divider, with the female to attempt them to breed. The eggs were eaten by the female a few days later, and after removing the divider, it quickly became evident that the female would not leave the new GT alone, constantly chasing and nibling fins. The new GT would only stay at the top of the tank and was still chased. We decided to put the divider up again and place the aggressive female on the other side to allow the new guy to get used to the tank. He became happy and active, friendly with other fish and regularly ate. Today we took the divider out only to see the female continuing to harass the other GT who won't fight back. The female isn't aggressive to any other fish in the tank and only bothers him. My questions are: Is the 'male' sexually mature? Is this courting behavior? And is the male even a male to begin with. We are looking to breed the GT's as the lfs has offered to buy the babies at a good price. I'll attach some pics of the GT's. The 'male' is black with more flowy fins although theyve been damaged so the dorsal is difficult to make out at the end. He also shows slightly more of a straight head and has a slight noticeable hump compared to the female. Both are around same size. 1st 2 are the new 'male' and last one is the female.IMG_1235.jpeg IMG_1498.JPG IMG_1497.JPG

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
If breeding the terrors is your goal you’ll need to get them a bigger tank soon, but for now get everyone else out. Tank mates will only add to the aggression level in the tank. Those Africans aren’t in with them still are they?

The terror in the first pic looks very thin and sad right now. Keep the divider in and get that one chunked up a bit.

As far as aggression goes, females are brutes. But established females will beat the snot out of a new comer male.
My older female has never really accepted my male. She will spawn with him, but always marks him up. He is never trusted with fry. Yet, my newer little female is amazing with him and not nearly as aggressive.
So you may be looking at long term issues between these two. Watch them closely when the divider is down.

AustenN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2018
Yeah that first picture is one when he was at the lfs with a bunch of other fish in there with him. But yeah no aggression with the other fish like the firemouth and jack dempsey its just the female attacking the male. will put up the divider and try to get him a bit beefed up.

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
Sorry I didn't read all of your thread lol breed the rivs in a seperate system. The male will kill other males and females for that matter.. if you can't breed in a seperate system don't bother breeding matey it's such a pain in the ass. Even if you have a viable pair they will constantly harrass tankmates untill they have the space to breed annnnd will breed constantly so the agro will never go away. Separate the females from the males just keep the male??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store