Hand Feeding Bichirs

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Absolutely not. I never surface feed them but when moths invade mealworms you gotta take the chance! Polys are wildly food orientated, some raw fish at the surface should get them hungry ;)

Dels are pretty lazy. Maybe that's a contributing factor..

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
For me, I used the stinkiest stuff to hand-feed and was just really patient. I started with silversides.

I also think I might have tried tongs before fingers - smaller looking and less intimidating. I can't fully remember but that might be a good starting point.

The ropes liked to go to the surface anyway, so I'd just put a piece in my hand, try not to move at all and be patient. There was always a bolder one and that helped. Once they got used to it over time it was easier, and I could move around more.

I did get my Polli to eat out of my fingers also, but she was really pretty outgoing and also liked to swim a bunch. I never got any of my other polys to do it, but also didn't really try with them. I had a tall tank - so if they weren't coming to the surface, I wasn't going to bother.

Here's the Polli trying it for the first time. (Sorry, not a great video - hard to film and feed the fish at the same time)

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
For me, I used the stinkiest stuff to hand-feed and was just really patient. I started with silversides.

I also think I might have tried tongs before fingers - smaller looking and less intimidating. I can't fully remember but that might be a good starting point.

The ropes liked to go to the surface anyway, so I'd just put a piece in my hand, try not to move at all and be patient. There was always a bolder one and that helped. Once they got used to it over time it was easier, and I could move around more.

I did get my Polli to eat out of my fingers also, but she was really pretty outgoing and also liked to swim a bunch. I never got any of my other polys to do it, but also didn't really try with them. I had a tall tank - so if they weren't coming to the surface, I wasn't going to bother.

Here's the Polli trying it for the first time. (Sorry, not a great video - hard to film and feed the fish at the same time)

This will be a great help for me. I've got some spare time the next weeks and will try my luck.
I'll keep this thread updated :)

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Sorry for the late update.
I had first results...but since mit Acaras got larger, the Acaras eaat everything out of my hands, before the Polys recognize the food. (The most greedy fishes i've ever kept^^). But i've got a little hope... my new Poli is much more active and curious...maybe it will work with him :)

Reactions: Hendre

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
I currently have a small Teugelsi in a growout tank... so no greedy Acaras^^
Maybe it will work this thime. First results are encouraging.

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
hey Kelly_Aquatics Kelly_Aquatics
A video would be great!
My bichirs are also more interested in smelly food. They are nuts for Rainbow Trout and sometimes i am thinking about trying Herring... but i am not sure if that would be a good nutrition...

What smelly food are you using?

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
I am not feeding whole fish until now...
I'm a bit scared, that the bones could cause injuries ?
Mine get only bite-sized filet (i know, i'm a helicopter-fishkeeper^^ ).
But smelt are very common as fishfood in germany... i think the most LFS offer it ... so mabe i should give it a try :)

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store