Help Bichir sick :(

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hi i have a lapreidei who is kept divided with my female flower horn. The bichir is 9 inches and the flower horn is 4 inches. Last night the bichir was able to escape and jump over to th other side with the flower horn where he was bitten badly with bloody top and anal and pelvic fins. After I seperated them, I did a 70 percent water change and added aquarium salt. Yesterday he would stay at the bottom but have his tail pointed up and seemed like he couldn't bring it back down. Today, he looks better and has more of a weird curve in his tail. Also his vent is bloody. What should I do and what problem does he have? I don't think its anything internally because the problems started occurring when the bichir encountered the flower horn. Should I buy any medication and is it gone survive?

thank you and I will post some picks so you understand what I mean.

I don't have last nights photos but I have todays...

thanks and cheers :)

I really hope he can recover because I love this fish.

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
not very clear but you can see how red his anal fins are. Couldn't find him cried up in the weird position but will keep posted when that happens.

maybe he's getting better?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Just wait it out. Keep the water clean and salt 1 tsp per gallon. It should heal up. Hard to say if internal damage.

Would hold off feeding for a couple of days.

Probably trapped air from jumping over. Wouldn't worry as long as it's not bloated or floating end up.

Reactions: magpie

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Just wait it out. Keep the water clean and salt 1 tsp per gallon. It should heal up. Hard to say if internal damage.

Would hold off feeding for a couple of days.

Probably trapped air from jumping over. Wouldn't worry as long as it's not bloated or floating end up.
also how do I let the trapped air leave also here are some are picks of his weird tail position.....

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
also how often do I salt? thxs so much just really worried cause I am a newbie in the polypterus world
Salt one time. If you take out water. Do a 50% change. Then after the water change add the salt back to half the tank size. If that makes sense. This salt should be ther till it all clears up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store