HELP! EXTREMELY STRESSED AND TERRIFIED CICHLID! PLEASE HELP!!!

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Thanks I’ll tell you if it’s works out! I’m leaning towards the Rosaline sharks because the tetras are a little small

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Also as Rocksor said, if it's only eating feeders that is another issue in its own right.
I am assuming it's feeder goldfish from a local fish store? That is a bad thing to do, many times they will be full of diseases that can get your Texas sick as well. Its best to get it on a good pellet instead.
Live food alone is not a good diet, in the wild they eat all kinds of stuff, from other fish, to crustaions, to plantmater as well. How would you like eating chicken legs only for life.
After you get it on pellets you can then give it treats like frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, earthworms, and the like.

Now if you really want feeders, it's best to raise your own so you know they are safe. There are choices, livebarers like Swordtails or even Convicts.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Beings you said you have had him a year now in a 50g, I assume you cycled the 30 before moving him in. Or used a filter or media from the 50 to instant cycle it.
Do you have a good test kit, what were the results? Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites?
Do you use a liquid test or strips, are they out if date? Frequency of water changes? How much do you change out?
Other than being shy any other sighs of sickness?

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
3 days isn't that long for him to settle in. I would add more cover/shelter as the other guys suggested and leave the light off for a few days which should help him chill out. It won't hurt him if he doesn't eat for a few days either, hunger might draw him out a bit more too.
I wouldn't add dithers just yet, check all the parameters first, there plenty of experienced people here who can give some really good advice based on the readings you get.

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
the pH is running at 7.6 constantly, I use liquid test and i bought the test kit about a month ago. I bought giant danios for him and that made the cichlid a little better, but he still doesn't get excited for feeding time and he hides whenever you are in the room unless you stay perfectly still for 30 minutes... He's eaten a few pellets of food over the past week but he is not eating enough to maintain himself...

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
What is the ammonia at? Nitrite? Nitrates?
PH is not as big of an issue so long as it's steady. Ammonia and nitrates are more dangerous to the fish. What are those reading?
How often do you do water changes and what %?
I do fin level water changes every 3 days.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature any of the Herichthys of the "Texas " cichlid group are not primarily fish eaters, they are normally detritus/algae and insect eaters (although they won't pass up a unwary fish). So pellets are a much better choice nutritionally (beyond the fact that store bought feeder fish can be disease carriers)
I agree with others that some rocks and more caves to hide in may actually make your cichlid come out more, because it has somewhere to escape to if needed.
The danios were a good choice, if they are large enough.
Here is an example of how cichlids live in nature, surrounded by dither fish.

Although these are JDs in Mexico, the same comfort level applies when dithers are around for most cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store