HELP Pleco diet/stopped eating

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
our big guy is several years old. He had stopped eating regularly and we have been noticing changes in his behavior since switching out his smaller hiding place for a reptile cave appropriately sized for him to hide in.
He’s about 13 inches, and I’ve posted about him before.
He’s had a variety of wafers throughout his life and used to have other fish friends but the last few passed away about 2 years ago.

I’m looking for ideas. Links to amazon. Water is ok. Thinking maybe it’s digestive: based on what I’ve read so far I’m thinking that I’ll buy the hikari cichlid sinking pellets and maybe omega one shrimp pellets. He’s never been much interested in zucchini or cucumber (although some websites say it’s poisonous?!) or peas. Someone recommended courgette but I have to find it. Someone else said melon but what kind ? Driftwood give me a link please ? We’ve done blood worms but every time we did other fish died quite honestly... so links? Help? Thanks

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
I’ve also had suggestions for canned green beans no salt added. Are these safe?
Please help. Squiggly is family.

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Here are some pictures but they are actually from my last post because right now he has really just been hanging out in his rock and oddly has just his head poking out and looks to be floating in there (rather than just staying inside or coming out all the way). Sorry for the run one, using my phone and a bit panicked...

8E6BEEB0-E775-4DAA-88D7-BC62B95F22EA.jpeg B1A0C0A0-EB50-4579-8EF5-6015FFCD1E5E.jpeg

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Sorry just adding one last thing- how much would you give him?
Quantity and prep for:
Zucchini
Green beans
Courgette
Wafers (we have been giving him 2. We were doing 4 but when he stopped eating a month or two ago we cut down and thought we were maybe just over feeding)...

(We are waiting for the $1 gallon sale to get him a new tank. I’m disabled and my boys both have special needs so I cannot afford to get anything sooner).

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to say but I’d suggest a one time dose of epsom salt 1tbsp per 5g and round of kanamycin. Hold feeding till after the meds have finished. After meds then try reversing. Would try couple of wafers every day and a veggie about once a week. Can always get a cheap plastic tote from Walmart. Keep the water pristine.

Lsey81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2016
Pittsburgh-ish
My pleco used to love the massivour sinking pellets from Hikari...sadly I lost her earlier this year because she was egg bound and my ignorance in sexing and pleco in general led to me treating for everything except the true issue...she quit eating and basically exploded....hope you sort it out, good luck !

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
our big guy is several years old. He had stopped eating regularly and we have been noticing changes in his behavior since switching out his smaller hiding place for a reptile cave appropriately sized for him to hide in.
He’s about 13 inches, and I’ve posted about him before.
He’s had a variety of wafers throughout his life and used to have other fish friends but the last few passed away about 2 years ago.

I’m looking for ideas. Links to amazon. Water is ok. Thinking maybe it’s digestive: based on what I’ve read so far I’m thinking that I’ll buy the hikari cichlid sinking pellets and maybe omega one shrimp pellets. He’s never been much interested in zucchini or cucumber (although some websites say it’s poisonous?!) or peas. Someone recommended courgette but I have to find it. Someone else said melon but what kind ? Driftwood give me a link please ? We’ve done blood worms but every time we did other fish died quite honestly... so links? Help? Thanks
I’ve also had suggestions for canned green beans no salt added. Are these safe?
Please help. Squiggly is family.
zucchini, cucumber, and green beans(no salt) is all pleco safe. My gold spot common loved cucumbers but took several tries before he tried it but afterwards he loved it. He never did like green beans though

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I've also found that blanched spinach (and to a lesser extent kale) was a big hit and staple. I found they were devoured when strapped against a flat piece of slate. Indeed, my plecos rarely ate much else besides.

Last edited:
Reactions: kno4te

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Are it’s eyes or stomach sunken in or still OK?
Any noticeable physical changes or all behavioral?

If the later it may just be stress. You mentioned you thought the changes occurred when you switch out it hiding spot, can you put the old one back in so it has a couple of options?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
zucchini or cucumber (although some websites say it’s poisonous?!) or peas. Someone recommended courgette but I have to find it.
I wouldn't stress too much over finding courgette, you've already tried it and he didn't care, though my fish all love it.

If you really want you could try telling him that your zucchini is courgette, I hear that sort of thing works with fussy children.

Zucchinni...

Courgette....

They're the same thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store