HELP small delhezi with red spots on stomach?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
What is this?
I have had him for 2/3 years, water seems fine. I got sand so he isnt hurting him self on stones or anything.
Is it parasites??
and what can i do?
pls help, thanks in advance

Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 15.16.03.png

Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 15.16.07.png

Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 15.16.10.png

Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 15.16.12.png

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
2-3 Years?????

I'm sorry... but that fish is extremely emaciated and stunted

How much and what are you feeding it

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Oh damn... He's quite stunted and sickly. His slime coat looks a bit messed up towards the tail; may be an infection of some sort. Perhaps the red spots may be some sort of lesions that haven't healed properly or another indication of an infection. I would recommend that you separate the fish from the others, place it in a quarantine vessel of some sort (I often use large plastic bins for a temporary quarantine tank) and first attempt to feed him a good amount of some sort of frozen/live food; perhaps earthworms, brine shrimp, f/t silversides, etc. It's a bit concerning that your bichir allowed you to flip him upside down underwater, that he's that small and skinny, and his physical condition. If you cannot quarantine him, I think the first priority should be feeding him an appropriate diet; for a fish that eats well does not often run into too many health problems long-term.
Not in any way a fish vet, though. I'm not completely too sure what the physical health complications are; all I know is that you really need to get his weight up and probably quarantine and treat him with the appropriate meds. Could be parasites, which would explain the skinniness, but could also, in turn, be neglect, the wounds.

Reactions: Caveden

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
He doesn’t even resemble a del. Extremely emmaciated.

kno4te kno4te Rocksor Rocksor

Reactions: neko1

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yea. Not sure if it’ll make it. Small and skinny del for 2-3 years owned. I’d dose some levamisole and kanamycin. Clean water. Is it eating? Have you seen it eat?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
2-3 Years?????

I'm sorry... but that fish is extremely emaciated and stunted

How much and what are you feeding it
I feed every two days and try to feed this one every day but most times he declines food. I know its weird.. but cant really help it. Other bichirs
I got grew 3x in size in a month. I think his genes might be weird.

i mostly feed tilapia,bloodworms red worms, (red bloodwormhikari flakes, sometimes shrimp and worms

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Oh damn... He's quite stunted and sickly. His slime coat looks a bit messed up towards the tail; may be an infection of some sort. Perhaps the red spots may be some sort of lesions that haven't healed properly or another indication of an infection. I would recommend that you separate the fish from the others, place it in a quarantine vessel of some sort (I often use large plastic bins for a temporary quarantine tank) and first attempt to feed him a good amount of some sort of frozen/live food; perhaps earthworms, brine shrimp, f/t silversides, etc. It's a bit concerning that your bichir allowed you to flip him upside down underwater, that he's that small and skinny, and his physical condition. If you cannot quarantine him, I think the first priority should be feeding him an appropriate diet; for a fish that eats well does not often run into too many health problems long-term.
Not in any way a fish vet, though. I'm not completely too sure what the physical health complications are; all I know is that you really need to get his weight up and probably quarantine and treat him with the appropriate meds. Could be parasites, which would explain the skinniness, but could also, in turn, be neglect, the wounds.
Im gone put him alone, raise temperature add salt. And then i will try to feed him twice a day. But he doesnt wane eat. Should i forcefeed him? Or wait a day?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store