How many delhezi in tank

Jimmyk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
I’ve been tempted to get more dels but am concerned about aggression. I currently have a 4.5” delhezi in a 125 gallon tank filled about halfway. The actual volume of water that’s currently in the tank is 40 gallons. I like the look so would like to keep it filled halfway permanently. I have 3 sponge filters running in the tank with a pump rated for a 60 gallon tank. I change 25% of water weekly and hope to keep the maintenance at this level. My questions are:
1. How many delhezi can I keep with my setup and water change schedule?
2. Are dels aggressive? What would be the minimum number that one should keep to spread out aggression?
3. Where would you recommend getting healthy dels? I’m in the US.

Thank you!

3CC59ED8-99AD-40B0-BAE3-870AEE41331A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’ve been tempted to get more dels but am concerned about aggression. I currently have a 4.5” delhezi in a 125 gallon tank filled about halfway. The actual volume of water that’s currently in the tank is 40 gallons. I like the look so would like to keep it filled halfway permanently. I have 3 sponge filters running in the tank with a pump rated for a 60 gallon tank. I change 25% of water weekly and hope to keep the maintenance at this level. My questions are:
1. How many delhezi can I keep with my setup and water change schedule?
2. Are dels aggressive? What would be the minimum number that one should keep to spread out aggression?
3. Where would you recommend getting healthy dels? I’m in the US.

Thank you!

View attachment 1499115
You could add 5 more Delhezi easily.
I personally think the Delhezi is very mild aggressive from experience.
There are a few good vendors the Wetspot would be a good place to buy Polypterus.

Reactions: Jimmyk

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
There are a few good vendors the Wetspot would be a good place to buy Polypterus.
I suggest changing half the water weekly but with the plants you may getaway with a lower % wc's. Test your water as the Delhezi grow and keep Nitrate below 10 ppm.

Reactions: deeda and Jimmyk

Jimmyk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
Thank you. Is there a number that would be a bad idea? Like if I were to add two more and have three altogether?

Reactions: tlindsey

Jimmyk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
That would be fine imo. You could add more smaller upper jaw species if you choose to do so.
Thank you! Are there things that I can do to minimize the possibility of aggression? I think the only reason I haven’t gotten more dels yet is I’m not sure what I would do if there were aggression.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
With the footprint of your tank there should be little aggression. Plenty of territory and easy access to air. I suggest adding some other lower jaw species.

Reactions: Jimmyk and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store