How To Make A very Simple Brine Shrimp Hatchery

The Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
U.S.A
www.youtube.com
In this professionally filmed, and produced short film, I introduce the viewer to a simple and inexpensive brine shrimp hatchery. For those of you who are not familiar with this creature, newborn brine shrimp are an essential, easy to raise, and very nutritious live food item for newborn fish. In fact, they are an essential part of raising fish fry. Most professional aquarists consider them to be a perfect staple live food for their precious newborn fish.

In the following video, I show you step-by-step how to set up a simple homemade brine shrimp hatchery for hatching these crustaceans on a budget. There are many options available, but this do it yourself instructional video will get you started on the right path for very little cash. Included in the video are several tips that will increase your hatching rates and overall success. It is designed for the aquarists on a budget, but I am certain that everyone will gain something from it. Enjoy. . .

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Thank you for sharing that. I have used a similar setup but did not have rocks in the bottom and clipped the tubing to the edge of the top of the bottle. I will try doing it your way.
You do not mention how to keep the temperature above 80 F.

DetroitFh

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2016
Very cool setup. This is how I've set mine up. Very cheap but gets the job done.
Hatchery is hung on a hook rack.
20161226_215716.jpg
Hole drilled on cap to connect my airline tubing. Hole can be smaller than airline tubing for a tight fit if ya don't have or want to use silicone. For both of these hatcheries I didn't have to use it.
20161226_215724.jpg
Then on the other end of the airline tube I attached a flow control valve. And the cup behind it with the coffee filter is what I use to extract the shrimp.
20161226_215733.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The Dave The Dave and DetroitFh DetroitFh both great hatchery setups thanks for sharing. :)

DetroitFh

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2016
I've hatched brine shrimp between 70-80 degrees. Right now my temperature is at 78 degrees.

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
How do you keep your temperature at 78 degrees. Room temperature is not that warm in Canada where I live (except maybe in July!)

The Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
U.S.A
www.youtube.com
Yes, I regret the omission of not mentioning how to heat the hatchery. Some folks clip the bottle inside the aquarium to heat it to tank temps. That method troubles me. It's better to put the bottle (s) into a ten gallon tank half-filled with water and put in a submersible aquarium heater. I hope this helps. Thank you for watching my video.

Reactions: paulW
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store