How to measure bottom panel thickness?

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Hi, I know it's a somewhat weird question. But does anyone have a way to measure the thickness of the bottom panel of a tank? The tank has a bottom trim that is glued on so it isn't visible from the side. I can measure the side thickness and assume they're the same, but one can only be so sure. I'm asking because I plan to use bulkheads and I want to be sure the glass isn't too thick for the threads.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
One would assume it's the same thickness lemme do a quick search. Is the tank a normal premade or special ordered? Brand if it's premade

Reactions: FESHMAN

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
One would assume it's the same thickness lemme do a quick search. Is the tank a normal premade or special ordered? Brand if it's premade
Thank you for your kindness, the tank is a Chinese import (180*50*60)cm with curved glass. It just says aquarium tank 180 on the trim, even if it had a brand I don't think they'll have a website listing all the details. These are common where I live, most are no name brand

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
I would assume similar thickness if not slightly thicker by like 1/8"

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I would assume similar thickness if not slightly thicker by like 1/8"
I measured the side and it's 10mm. So logically the bottom would either be the same or 15mm, not likely to be like 20mm right?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
There's a little tool they use in the field, and it's just a little credit card thing with lines on it.

You hold it against the glass edgewise and look at the reflection. The two lines line up on your thickness.

I haven't had one since I was in the window & door business about 1985, but I'm sure they are still available.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Here, I googled it for ya.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Thickness-Gauge-/261804077564

But they shouldn't cost that much. They might give you one at a glass shop.
Thanks but the problem is that I don't have access to the edge, it has sort of a frame that it sits in. I do have a set of calipers and rulers of sorts but I can't get to the edge of the glass without ripping the frame, which isn't worth it just to measure. I'm now confident enough that the glass isn't too thick for my fittings

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
No, that's not how it works.

You can just walk up to a window, hold the card against the glass, tilt it, and read the thickness. You don't need more. You don't need to see the edge. It works on the fact that glass bends light and thick glass bends it more.

The tank must be empty though.

Reactions: FESHMAN
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store