How to Promote Peacock Cichlid Breeding

Samt123

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
40 Breeder
83 degrees
Sand Substrate with large rocks covering 60% of the tank floor (I move rocks around every water change)
1 male sunshine peacock (4 inches)
3 female aulonocara (3 inches, 3.5 inches, 4 inches)
Bi-Weekly water change at around 30-40% (Wednesdays and Sundays, I do colder water changes to stimulate rain)
Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 (Nitrates vary but It doesn't ever go above 20 ppm)
I don't check PH I'm sorry
Fed 3x a day (8 am, 4 pm, and 11 pm) (Hikari floating pellets, brine shrimp, blood worms, cucumbers, flakes)
I have 3 filters, one sponge, and two HOB, combined rating of around 150 gallons
I don't keep the lights on very much as my room is moderately well lit with natural light, maybe 3 hours a day from 7-10
No notable aggression

Hey everyone,

I had made a post similar a little over a month ago when I had first gotten this breeding colony. The male cichlid continuously tries to breed with the females on an almost daily basis but I have had almost no luck with any of the females breeding with the male. I have done hours of research in an attempt to promote breeding and keep a healthy tank environment for the cichlids. Is there anything I am obviously doing wrong or anything I can do to better promote breeding within this colony? Within the first few days of having the cichlids, I had one female holding something in her mouth for about a day before whatever it was disappearing. Here's the usual breakdown of what happens within my tank. I do a water change and move rocks around, an hour later my male starts digging up sand and coralling the females and trying to breed, he does this for about 1 day or 2, gets bored because none of the females want to breed with him, stops trying to breed. This cycle has been going on for about a month now and I am starting to think about things I can do better to further entice the females to start breeding. I do introduce cold water to the tank when doing water changes and have the Hob's create a lot of surface agitation that resembles rain. I do understand that this is a waiting game but maybe there's something I can do to be more proactive. Please let me know if anyone has an experience similar and knows some secret tricks or tips or would like to help out!

BigBeardDaHuZi

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2020
Bump

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Make sure your nitrates are between 10ppm and 20ppm. I have never had luck with peacocks in a 36" tank but I might add females and I would continue to wait. Are you sure they are young enough to spawn?

Reactions: dr exum

Samt123

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
Quick Update:

I was able to get them to spawn!

Here are a few things that I did that I think got them to mate:

Added 3 more females to the tank.
Bumped up PH levels using Cichlid salt
Did more frequent water changes at a lower amount (10-20% daily)

I am at the moment overrun with cichlid fry (more than 200)

ryang85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2019
One of the best methods I have used to encourage breeding is a large water changed with colder water. I try and drop the tank 3 degrees and usually they breed within an hour of doing so. In my experience it takes a day or two to get them settled into the breeder tank.

Reactions: Samt123 and dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store