HUGE knifefish caught in FL canal!!!

Basskeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
well..... nice job. if its real, hope you enjoyed the fight. if its photoshopped, it kept us guessing. as for exotics getting released, i went to florida with a friend of mine and we went bass fishing. turned or we caught fish all day long and only hauled in four bass, total. all we caught were oscars and such. oscars eat the same thing bass do, but the bass can survive in 40 degree water, the oscar gets less than 75 and hey shut down. its the same thing with most all of the evasive species. as for fishing revenue, i am planning a trip back because the wife wants to go. she wants to catch an oscar and i want to go diving. i can dive anywhere, and i can bass fish here, but why are we going to florida? an "evasive specie"

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
Zum14;3046512; said:
thats a beaut. wonder the fight they put up eh?
Indonesian Featherback.
Pla Satu.

Fighting characteristics:
A powerful and beautiful jumper with a lot of stamina.

Nemesis529;3046524; said:
Wow I never knew they could get so big

they get much bigger than that Chitala ornata

weight:​
6,00 kg (13 lb 4 oz)​
length:​
approx. 85 cm (approx. 33 inches)​
locality:​
Srinakarin Reservoir, Thailand​

and this one

Giant Featherback
(Chitala lopis)

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Destroyer551;3345855; said:
I live in Florida but not in the right place!!!! :irked:

You know where you truly see amazing unusual fish is by the man made lakes surrounded by houses.

I regret not buying a house in a set up like that.

My brother in law lives in one of those places . Assorted plecos (not the common canal types) and non cichlids like big tropical's (clown loach ) ,etc that you would not see in any canal.

No fishing allowed only peddle type boats , canoe or row boat . When people feed the ducks some of the fish swim by and its a great sight. You could sit in the yard all day by the shore amazed at the fish

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Basskeeper;3092377; said:
well..... nice job. if its real, hope you enjoyed the fight. if its photoshopped, it kept us guessing. as for exotics getting released, i went to florida with a friend of mine and we went bass fishing. turned or we caught fish all day long and only hauled in four bass, total. all we caught were oscars and such. oscars eat the same thing bass do, but the bass can survive in 40 degree water, the oscar gets less than 75 and hey shut down. its the same thing with most all of the evasive species. as for fishing revenue, i am planning a trip back because the wife wants to go. she wants to catch an oscar and i want to go diving. i can dive anywhere, and i can bass fish here, but why are we going to florida? an "evasive specie"

Non native fish add revenue to S.Florida because people actually come to fish for them. I am not including PB but other types of cichlids,etc.

I have never seen a knife fish but my father in law has .

I think its a non native that is located in a very limited area and even than no guarantee your going to catch one.

Think its like the Jack Dempsey. Some have caught them ( I have never seen them) but limited and rare.

For me non natives are one of the few things that makes this place bearable lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store