Hybridizing Irresponsible?

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
Nic;2190967; said:
ray keepers are more laid back;) plus those hybrids look amazing...

i do think with the hybrids over in asia that the price of pure bloods with drop... and there will always be pure blood rays... mike does breed some hybrids but will always have pure bloods same with the guys in europe.. i dont think we will ever see pure bloods be un obtainable

It's the opposite Nick, with the asian market breeding so many hybrids and no one being able to trust they are getting pure stock. The market for pure is much much higher then ever, don't get me wrong hybrids can be expensive but demand seems to be for pure stock much more so then hybrids.

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
Nic;2190967; said:
ray keepers are more laid back;) plus those hybrids look amazing...

i do think with the hybrids over in asia that the price of pure bloods with drop... and there will always be pure blood rays... mike does breed some hybrids but will always have pure bloods same with the guys in europe.. i dont think we will ever see pure bloods be un obtainable
The problem as I see it is not being unable to obtain pure species but rather knowing that you have, without doubt, purchased a pure specimen. Knowing that you got what you paid for. Over time, the muddier the gene pool gets, the more valuable pure specimens become.

As an example, with cichlids, flowerhorns have become so prevalent that pure specimens of certain species are very difficult to find and when you do find them there is always that nagging question as to whether or not you actually have what you were sold.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So if this is true hybridizing from a business point of view is brilliant...... Flood the market with the flavor of the week and increase the value of pure bloods at the same time.........

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
DB junkie;2190995; said:
So if this is true hybridizing from a business point of view is brilliant...... Flood the market with the flavor of the week and increase the value of pure bloods at the same time.........
Yeah but the problem is back firing for the asian market, all they do is throw all there rays in large ponds and no one knows what is pure anymore. So people looking to buy pure can only rely on small reliable bunch of sources and thus more demand.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
csx4236;2190975; said:
It's the opposite Nick, with the asian market breeding so many hybrids and no one being able to trust they are getting pure stock. The market for pure is much much higher then ever, don't get me wrong hybrids can be expensive but demand seems to be for pure stock much more so then hybrids.
you dont feel as these hybrids get more crazy and popular and there price goes up that the price of a pure leo will go down?? i kinda think it will as those guys over there start cross breeding f3 lines of rays and make crazier patterns...

Scatocephalus;2190994; said:
The problem as I see it is not being unable to obtain pure species but rather knowing that you have, without doubt, purchased a pure specimen. Knowing that you got what you paid for. Over time, the muddier the gene pool gets, the more valuable pure specimens become.

As an example, with cichlids, flowerhorns have become so prevalent that pure specimens of certain species are very difficult to find and when you do find them there is always that nagging question as to whether or not you actually have what you were sold.
i can think of a few breeders off the top of my head i could trust would sell me with out a doubt a pure blood ray weather it be henlei, leo,p14 or pearl....
but i understand what you are saying but i also know the bulk of the hybrids will be in asia....

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
Mike is right and this is going to get evwen worse as time goes on so a reliable source like H2O or frank will be the best to get the purest and best rays on the market but that also explains why they are high in $$$$ but you get what you want so ....its a no brainer

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
csx4236;2191010; said:
Yeah but the problem is back firing for the asian market, all they do is throw all there rays in large ponds and no one knows what is pure anymore. So people looking to buy pure can only rely on small reliable bunch of sources and thus more demand.
More demand = higher prices. Doesn't sound like backfiring to me......... But I can understand where you are coming from though, IF those people REALLY don't know what's pure anymore. But if they do I'de say they are succeeding.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
:popcorn:

Mark Huveneers

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2007
Netherlands
I have given this a lot of thought too, to be honest I'm not to keen on buying the beautifull "pure blood" rays from Asia either because I don't have any reliable sources there.

Finding these reliable sources will become more and more difficult as it is very tempting to `upgrade` your stock by mixing some sp. in. Everybody wants the supadupa looking rays, so if you´re breeding normal 3-2-1 leos, just mix in a hen/leo and your getting crazy looking leosp. pups with big dots, hoops and rings.

I myself have always selected wildcaught rays and formed breeding groups with these animals. Others here in Europe have done the same. But the hybred trend has come to Europe aswell and a lot of hybred pups are showing up. No harm in that as long as people are honest about the genetics.
But seeing all the hybreds also might be the key to understanding more about the origin of the species, to which extent I do not know.

What I do know is that even with all the spectacular rays you see nowadays to me a nice pure blood Henlei is just perfect, no improvement needed. There are other people out there who will keep on breeding the pure lines because of there love for the species aswell.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Makes you wonder if those fellas over there with the micro chips had a crystal ball when that idea was hatched........LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store