Hybridizing Irresponsible?

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
The other side to this problem is that if I do have a pair of purebred rays I might not get top dollar for my pups simply because I'm not Mike or Frank. Even though I have a top quality fish I'm left in the cold because others have screwed the market.

Ironic when you thnk about it. Even if Asian sellers do have pure fish they screwed themselves because no one will believe them now.

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
Scatocephalus;2191813; said:
The other side to this problem is that if I do have a pair of purebred rays I might not get top dollar for my pups simply because I'm not Mike or Frank. Even though I have a top quality fish I'm left in the cold because others have screwed the market.

Ironic when you thnk about it. Even if Asian sellers do have pure fish they screwed themselves because no one will believe them now.

Well said thats the whole problem no one believes them anymore.

Big Daves Rays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Seattle WA

Yeah the asian sellers are really making themselves look bad, again. I wouldn't be surprised if they start dying the leo spots rainbow colors. Breeders like Mike and Frank and others of us will stand out for their dedication to pure bred species.

SovietFireExtinguisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Canada
Agreed, who wants a weiner pitbull with long lassie type fur anyways. Keep them the way nature made them.....

Yah, I know I know. Man made pitbull that way it is now with very selective breeding, but I think you get my point.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly

there are a few people who are breeding pure leo and getting top $$$ for them... you wont have to worry on that end...

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Quite frankly though the ray community are more accepting of Hybrids than any other fish which is cool. Hybrids can be very cool however if I was sold a hybrid when I was told it was purebred I would be incredibly pissed.

Irresponsible??? Nope, not unless you sell them as something else.

There is a market for hybrids, there is also a place in the hobby for them IMO

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
rudy;2192895; said:
Quite frankly though the ray community are more accepting of Hybrids than any other fish which is cool. Hybrids can be very cool however if I was sold a hybrid when I was told it was purebred I would be incredibly pissed.

Irresponsible??? Nope, not unless you sell them as something else.

There is a market for hybrids, there is also a place in the hobby for them IMO

thats only really a problem on rays out of asia...

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
reputation helps alot when selling pure breeds
in the us i think you can trust what you get for the most part.
i am not mike or frank and i get good money for my rays
i also know other breeders that are very trustworthy

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
Nic;2192685; said:
there are a few people who are breeding pure leo and getting top $$$ for them... you wont have to worry on that end...
Originally Posted by Nic
ray keepers are more laid back plus those hybrids look amazing...

i do think with the hybrids over in asia that the price of pure bloods with drop... and there will always be pure blood rays... mike does breed some hybrids but will always have pure bloods same with the guys in europe.. i dont think we will ever see pure bloods be un obtainable

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store