Hybridizing Irresponsible?

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
so with the selective breeding of f2 and f3 etc. hybrids and more designer black rays coming out and being more popular no one else thinks pure ray prices will drop?

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
reverse;2194085; said:
Originally Posted by Nic
ray keepers are more laid back plus those hybrids look amazing...

i do think with the hybrids over in asia that the price of pure bloods with drop... and there will always be pure blood rays... mike does breed some hybrids but will always have pure bloods same with the guys in europe.. i dont think we will ever see pure bloods be un obtainable

You just argued the other point a day back.......make up your mind:screwy:
go read it all over again and it will make sense to you.... it was to seperate conversations

rk59

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Germany
reverse;2194085; said:
.. and there will always be pure blood rays... mike does breed some hybrids but will always have pure bloods same with the guys in europe.. i dont think we will ever see pure bloods be un obtainable

You should not count to much on all the guys in Europe. Here in Germany some breeders produce pure blood rays and additionally hybrids. In case that a henlei-hybrid looks like a pure henlei, which is not unusual, you have to trust the breeder that he tells the truth. I know breeders that are trustworthy, but I'm afraid there are others also. I personnally would never buy a ray pup from a breeder who produces hybrids also.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Nic;2194344; said:
so with the selective breeding of f2 and f3 etc. hybrids and more designer black rays coming out and being more popular no one else thinks pure ray prices will drop?
Well the way I see it is supply and demand.. and I think their will be a larger supply of hybrid rays than pureblood rays.

Since pureblood rays are cut-off from export, and the genetics are questionable from some resources, pureblood will become very rare because they will be less abundant on the market.

Hybrid rays can continue to make more hybrid rays, and more and more varieties.. and you can even add in Peruvian and Colombian rays to enhance the genetics in the future. The more popular the hybrids become, more and more will become available and more people will breed them on their own. (with purebloods primarily being bred by vendors not hobbyists) .. then the hybrids pricing system will all be based on pattern, color, and grade ... much like the flowerhorn systems.

Eventually the hybrid market will get watered down, even though it will have its high end and low ends.. (just like Motoro grading/pricing) and the pureblood Leos will be highly sought after and people will want a classic Leopoldi with perfect, minimal spots.

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
Tells us Nick, are they hybrids going to drive down the price of pure bred like you said or will the the pure breds keep bringing in the big bucks. You have argued both sides in this thread.

A little continuity to an argument will lend it more credence then all this deviation.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
reverse;2194437; said:
Tells us Nick, are they hybrids going to drive down the price of pure bred like you said or will the the pure breds keep bringing in the big bucks. You have argued both sides in this thread.

A little continuity to an argument will lend it more credence then all this deviation.
scat said he would be worried he would not get top $$$ for his rays... i know a few breeders not on the level of mike or frank who still get top $$$ for there pups.... thats what i was saying DO YOU UNDERSTAND IT NOW?????? WASNT GOING AGAINST WHAT I SAID ORIGINALLY I SAID I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT NOT GETTING TOP DOLLAR FOR YOUR PUPS.....

StefanW

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Germany
Hi Rainer,

rk59;2194401; said:
I personnally would never buy a ray pup from a breeder who produces hybrids also.
WHY!?

Is a breeder who's rays has done Hybrids, automatically no longer trustworthy in your eyes :confused: I ALWAYS know and tell people the ancestory of my pups and why cannot be trusted in me :screwy:

BUT I've sold Henlei x Leo in germany only one time until now and the guy who bought them, really meanwhile even offered them by picture as pure blooded Pot. henlei and that is of course not o.k. at all :irked: those are the guy who cannot be trusted!

Regards
Stefan

Big Daves Rays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Seattle WA
StefanW;2196596; said:
Hi Rainer,

WHY!?

Is a breeder who's rays has done Hybrids, automatically no longer trustworthy in your eyes :confused: I ALWAYS know and tell people the ancestory of my pups and why cannot be trusted in me :screwy:

BUT I've sold Henlei x Leo in germany only one time until now and the guy who bought them, really meanwhile even offered them by picture as pure blooded Pot. henlei and that is of course not o.k. at all :irked: those are the guy who cannot be trusted!

Regards
Stefan
I agree. Sometimes when switching rays around for aggression and what have you, it happens. Just as long as there is honesty, why not buy from a guy like Stephan, or me, or mike or whoever? I've had a hybrid happen by mistake.

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
StefanW;2196596; said:
And therein lies the irresponsibility in crossing species. While you may be perfectly honest in what you are selling you have released an animal into the marketplace that may be misrepresented at anytime between the time you sell it and the time it dies. While many would simply blame the person that sells the hybrid as a pureblood does not part of the responsibility lie with the breeder in enabling this to happen by creating the hybrid in the first place?

stingray man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
chicago
Hybrids are cool and all and having some of them is cool but, i agree latley finding a leoXpearl or leoXhenlei is easier than finding leo pure or henlei pure. Pearls are still some what easy to find pure but no easy as finding say a motoro. I think some times it is irresponsible but some times the breeders arent like "im going to go make a hybrid" but it just happens. I dont think pure breeds will ever run out but they will cost 10,000+ if hybrids keep breeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store