I think it looks like a...

fishman09

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2011
Centralia, WA
Here's a link to the jag X dovii.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGvp8wOiHVo

Certainly looks to be that....then again tough to be certain, with out seeing the parents with fry. IMO the fish does have more resemblence to a dovii, though jag characteristsics do seem to be present. That's one opinion:D On a side note, the fish has the spot at the base of the pectorial fin....like a jag or dovii.
thanks for the link. mother was dovii father was jag pretty sure and was a confirmed hybrid by the guys at the lfs who had seen the parents. that same store has a 15 inch 13 year old wild dovii in a 120 with a female. cool fish, sad tank

nmadsen4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2008
phoenix
I apologize for not having pictures to support my claims but I owned a female jag who spawned with my male con several times. None of the fry survived as it was a community tank unfortunately but I did post a thread on it while it was happening. that was 1 or 2 years ago. That would be a parachromis hybrid even tho it was not a hybrid between 2 different parachromis species.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Thanks for the replies. So far a pretty slim return on "Parachromis hybrids". From what I can see thus far provenance is still the issue.

I had brekfast yesterday with Dr. Paul Loiselle and brought up this very topic. Dr. Loiselle wrote a couple a VERY interesting articles about the Parachomis species that I still use as a reference. If you are a member of CRC I encourage you to search them out and read. Excellent stuff.

He said that in the wild a Parachromis hybrid would be "extremely rare". In a tank anything is possible...but for some reason more unlikely with this particular species. Just their nature for some reason.

So, that it? Anymore?

Nate_N_Nicole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Flat Rock, Mi
this guy has the best pix ever

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
I'll throw a spanner in the works. Male syn x female jag. You can see the fry in the 1st image. Old pic well and truly pre DSLR days but still good enough to see.
View attachment 694378

This was the result. These were the last shots I got of this guy as I never kept him past this size.

DSCF3330.JPG

DSCF3327.JPG

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
^^^ wow!
I've also had a spawn between a jag and a dovii. I have an old thread with photos on here if your so inclined to look. The last shots of the offspring were at 6"; a breeding pair that i still keep. They're with a batch of fry as we speak. I don't find them boring at all. Quite the opposite actually. I'm looking forward to seeing what the 2nd generation looks like tho I don't intend on passing them around.

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
It seems to me that parachromis hybrids happen as much as any others to be honest, aside of course from the flowerhorn crowds abundant crossings of Amphs, carpintis and parrots.

Just a quick search on google & you tube brought these up, which is more than I can find on most any other popular fish in the hobby. Maybe because everyone likes the parachromis and tries to keep different species together? I dont know. I do know that when I kept 3 small pairs of parachromis in my 265g, I eventually separated all the pairs because they were attempting to pair up (or looked to be) with other species in the same tank. Maybe they were as confused as some of us get trying to identify the variants we see on here.

Ive also spoken to Reagan several times Mo and one of the 1st hondurans you brought back has layed eggs with his chancho, labiatus and several other fish hes kept her with.

I do realize we are relying on these people to know what they have and what the parents were, so I do keep that in mind as to the legitimacy of what these are being called.

loisellei/ managuense?
Fish.jpg

loisellei/motaguense
Loseille:motaguense.jpg

RTM/Freddi
[YT]uRTncQs3uHc[/YT]

carpintis/managuense
[YT]U2HNOOsNcZc[/YT]
[YT]AQhPZP9vdqQ[/YT]

dovii/managuense
[YT]KTjSFB29BYQ[/YT]
[YT]ubiIIZJ5VDM[/YT]

convict/managuense
[YT]U1EhTILgRdU[/YT]

and theres more...seems to be as many parachromis hybrids as any other species.

Fish.jpg

Loseille:motaguense.jpg

BC in SK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
canada
Here are some links to flowerpower's jag X dovii, showing the breeding and various stages of developement:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?293689-Managuense-X-Dovii&highlight==

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...!)-amp-the-dovii-pair-too.-12-23-10&highlight=

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?362584-A-monster-in-the-making........

I don't doubt that Parachromis hybrids are just as common as any other CA hybrid (outside of the flowerhorn breeds), especially when jags are amongst the most commonly available and kept CA cichlid. But when it comes to "known" CA hybrids, you have to have some caution in beleiving what a fish is, as there are all kinds of "out to lunch" claims and speculation on the net.

The thread, that inspired this thread, was on whether or not a particular Parachromis specimen was actually a jag X dovii. The more I look at jag X dovii crosses, the more I think that this fish, (from the other thread) is unlikely to be that (But then again who knows for sure?). One might think that IF this fish (from the other thread) was a jag X dovii, that flowerpower would have identified as exactly that, seeing that he is very familiar with this cross. But about the only thing that is agreed apon, is that the fish is Parachromis:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store