xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
use paraguard....salt I find to be far more detrimental than that medication on scaleless fish. I've used both methods but my loaches and catfish tend to flash frequently when using salt instead of just using paraguard.
If I can get my hands on it I'll try it if not I'll just have to hope for the best

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
If I can get my hands on it I'll try it if not I'll just have to hope for the best
I'm not saying the other method doesn't work, so by no means take it that way, I'm just stating my personal experience has been better with that particular med.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I'm not saying the other method doesn't work, so by no means take it that way, I'm just stating my personal experience has been better with that particular med.
I'd rather do whatever is safest for my fish, it says I would need to remove any chemical filtration. I'm still new so Idk what that means...

I run an eheim canister filter and a 40 gal sponge filter

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'd rather do whatever is safest for my fish, it says I would need to remove any chemical filtration. I'm still new so Idk what that means...

I run an eheim canister filter and a 40 gal sponge filter
chemical filtration meaning carbon. Carbon pulls meds out of the water column so for a medication to take effect you can't be pulling it right back out of the water haha.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
chemical filtration meaning carbon. Carbon pulls meds out of the water column so for a medication to take effect you can't be pulling it right back out of the water haha.
So just take the carbon pad out of my canister filter and run without it until treatment is done?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Should I be doing more often water changes when I treat? I do at leat 30% weekly with a good gravel vac
well...with paraguard its a reducing agent so within something like 24 hours its diluted in your system, so doing a gravel vac and small water change before the next dose can only help, it depends on the med or the form of treatment. You can do small changes and gravel vacs while doing the salt treatment but need to re-add salt for the amount of water you take out.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
well...with paraguard its a reducing agent so within something like 24 hours its diluted in your system, so doing a gravel vac and small water change before the next dose can only help, it depends on the med or the form of treatment. You can do small changes and gravel vacs while doing the salt treatment but need to re-add salt for the amount of water you take out.
So re adding paraguard fir the amount of water taken out isn't necessary?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store