ideas for 10 gallon no filter aquarium

fishpets101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
i'm doing a 10 gallon no filter tank ( where i use the plants to filter the tank) with a lot of fast growing stem plants grown both submersed and immersed. any ideas for what fish i add and how many. i want some brightly colored fish to contrast with the green plants (as i'm putting the tank in iaplc 2021)

thanks a lot!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Maybe a small group of ember tetras. The tank is not really big enough to support many fish, even with lots of plants imo

Chinnavar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2018
The Netherlands
Personally I would go with a couple cherry shrimps and some galaxy rasboras, they stay small and have amazing colours.

Foo the flowerhorn on youtube has lots of videos with small tanks without filtration, lots of useful info in his videos.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
You can get away with a betta or dwarf frogs. Tank size is more than enough and they can get away without a filter.
Pygmy corys may be fine as well.

The betta or frog may also help with shrimp overpopulation.

Reactions: tlindsey

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
i'm doing a 10 gallon no filter tank ( where i use the plants to filter the tank) with a lot of fast growing stem plants grown both submersed and immersed. any ideas for what fish i add and how many. i want some brightly colored fish to contrast with the green plants (as i'm putting the tank in iaplc 2021)

thanks a lot!
Chili or Ember Rasboras, maybe a dozen, but not without a fully established planting. My fiancee had probably 20+ chilis and celestials in a similar setup, we lost count addind celestails to get them to come out, never happened... Rasboras started breeding in small numbers as well, would see a new fish or two pop up about once a month.

She just added 4 Rams and a small filter after about a year of this setup. She also uses fast growing top cover. Also very light feedings.

Stem plants are probably not going to be enough for very many fish on their own with the limited square footage. You'll want multiple level of canopy to maximize the small spaces filter potential.

fishpets101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
Chili or Ember Rasboras, maybe a dozen, but not without a fully established planting. My fiancee had probably 20+ chilis and celestials in a similar setup, we lost count addind celestails to get them to come out, never happened... Rasboras started breeding in small numbers as well, would see a new fish or two pop up about once a month.

She just added 4 Rams and a small filter after about a year of this setup. She also uses fast growing top cover. Also very light feedings.

Stem plants are probably not going to be enough for very many fish on their own with the limited square footage. You'll want multiple level of canopy to maximize the small spaces filter potential.
tanks a lot!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store