I'm New: Please Help Me Stock and Setup My Tank

Daniel Johnson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2016
I owned a 10 gallon a while ago and got the gist of maintaining aquariums, but never moved onto some of the more moderate-advanced fish. I stalked it with a Pepper Cat, 2 Rainbow Shark, and a few Black Mollies and Sword-tails only to have the Rainbow Sharks bully the Mollies and Sword-tails to death (literally)- needless to say, I learned from that mistake.

Now I'm moving on to a 55 gallon freshwater tank, and I really want this one to be a looker. Can you all give me some tips and advice:

Here's what I'd like:
-Slow larger fish that swim just above the bottom
-Faster smaller fish that occupy the mid-top
-Neutral colors such as (gray, black, brown, white)
-Non-aggressive (I don't have enough space for aggressive fish)
-Dense vegetation (ideas on plants)
-Caves and Flat-rock
-Peaceful, showpiece tank

I've become a decent Cichlid fan, and like herbivores (I heard they're less work as far as not having to freeze blood worms, and cleaning meat off the bottom of the tank)

Also, what chemicals would you advise I go with. I know the gist, but I'm assuming you all know the ins and outs and could maybe share your concoctions.

Thanks,
-Dan

Reactions: GamerChick5567

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
What is your pH?

So many questions. :)

My first thought is a SA planted community with Apistos, Keyholes, Rams, etc. but we need to know your water parameters first.

Daniel Johnson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2016
What is your pH?

So many questions. :)

My first thought is a SA planted community with Apistos, Keyholes, Rams, etc. but we need to know your water parameters first.
Whatever you advise, but I was thinking 5pH-7 or 8pH. I honestly want expert opinion that's why I came here. I figured, if I build the foundation on an expert opinion, the tank should run smoothly.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
you want 2 different types of fish, occupying 2 depths in the tank, but you have a 55 gallon.
you want plants, but you want fish that are herbivores.
you're asking about chemicals, but you want the tank to run smoothly, again in a 55 gallon.

I think you have unrealistic expectations. Also, I think it's harder to operate a 55 gallon tank than a 125 or larger. You might consider a bigger tank. And if you want plants, you might consider very few, or no, fish in the tank.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I had a 55 gallon as my first upgrade from a 20 gallon. It does provide a lot of new options for you, but I agree that your goals are somewhat incompatible.

I suggest you prioritize and then post that so people can see what your "must haves" are and then what your "nice to haves are."

A 55 can be a showpiece tank. I just don't see it being able to do all of your wish list at the same time.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Whatever you advise, but I was thinking 5pH-7 or 8pH. I honestly want expert opinion that's why I came here. I figured, if I build the foundation on an expert opinion, the tank should run smoothly.
Your pH is a metric that you preferably test for, although in a pinch you can get it off a report from the water department. Take your tap water to your local fish store and ask them to test it.

While some people try to "choose" their pH or make it what they want, it's not really something to tackle when you are relatively new to the hobby (if at all.) Post your pH as that can be helpful in designing your tank.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
First off do you have all the hardware? Lights, filter, heater, substrate?

Do you have any rocks or driftwood yet? Also we need you to do some test on your tap water, whats the ph, gh, kh.

Stay away from "chemicals", the only thing you need to be adding is a declor for water changes like Prime and a bit of fertilizers for plants but that depends on how high tech you are going.

Do you know what high tech vs low tech in terms of planted aquariums refers too?
Will you be running a pressurized co2 system?

Whats your budget? How much time do you have to do maintenance per week?

Do you have a specific species of fish that is a must have? if so its best to start there and build on it.

If you can take the time to answer my questions i can certainly advise you an everything you will want and need. Obviously you will get lots of feedback and you will ultimately decide whats best for you and what you will enjoy most.

Daniel Johnson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2016
I gave a list of things I like, but not necessarily need. I've seen 55 gal tanks with heavy vegetation and a pretty decent amount of fish, and the aquarium didn't seem crowded at all (you can normally tell when one is), even from a critical standpoint.

Maybe I posted this on the wrong site, in that I'm not building a 4,000 gal Vivarium Megatank with Gar, Arapaima, Granulated Cats, and Arowana. I just want a small showcase cichlid tank, and am mainly looking for advice setting up and stocking one, that way I get started in the right direction.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
You say you want a densely planted tank yet when trying to give you the right advice on how to do that you chose not to answer a single one of my questions. Therefore I can list a hundred of plants to try but if you don't have suitable substrate or lighting or nutrients or co2 all could die. Maybe you want low tech? Or Dutch style?

How am I to know.

Daniel Johnson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2016
First off do you have all the hardware? Lights, filter, heater, substrate?

Do you have any rocks or driftwood yet? Also we need you to do some test on your tap water, whats the ph, gh, kh.

Stay away from "chemicals", the only thing you need to be adding is a declor for water changes like Prime and a bit of fertilizers for plants but that depends on how high tech you are going.

Do you know what high tech vs low tech in terms of planted aquariums refers too?
Will you be running a pressurized co2 system?

Whats your budget? How much time do you have to do maintenance per week?

Do you have a specific species of fish that is a must have? if so its best to start there and build on it.

If you can take the time to answer my questions i can certainly advise you an everything you will want and need. Obviously you will get lots of feedback and you will ultimately decide whats best for you and what you will enjoy most.
No, I don't have the hardware or lights, or anything of that sort. I don't even have the tank; however, when I buy, I tend to buy things all at once just because long-term projects don't fare well with me. I will be getting small driftwood, and flat-rock, as well as peat.

My budget is limitless, within reason of the tanks purpose; such as to say, I'm not starting a public aquarium so state of the art technology isn't required, but I want the aquarium to look appealing and be healthy (I'm aware much of that has to do with routine maintenance). The aquarium will be in one bedroom; no one will really see it but the person in the room. That being said, I do want it to look showcase quality.

Definitely a low-tech tank, and I wouldn't have much time throughout the week to work on it. although I do have Saturdays and Sundays off, I have to part-time jobs and I'm a full-time college student.

As for must haves, I like "New World" Cichlids, as I've heard African Cichlids are hard to come by, and hard to keep. I also am a fan of Plecos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store