Incredible surgery on a fish egg using 2 sewing needles !!!

Did I do the right thing by saving this fish ?

• Total voters

The Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
U.S.A
www.youtube.com
SURGERY ON A FISH EGG ! ( a tale of aquatic morality )

Hello, everyone I recently had a Golden Wonder Killifish that hatched from its egg, but failed to completely break free of the egg membrane. Its head was still stuck inside the egg, while only the tail was free!

I found the fry about 24 hours after its brothers and sisters hatched, and it was tugging at my heart strings. It was going to die, if I did not act. So, I decided to try and free this fry from the egg membrane using two sewing needles and a bit of micro-surgery ! I The surgery went well, but the fry now has a swim bladder issue. Probably due to not being able to reach the surface soon enough after birth.

I was wondering if I did the right thing by saving this fish from certain death?

Or should I have let nature take its course?

Please watch the following 8 minute video of the surgery and the end result of my actions, and let me know if I did the right thing.

Thank you . . .

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
You did a heroic act. She would have had zero quality of life if you had just let her die. She is very fortunate that she was in your tank and not out in nature some where.

Reactions: Dloks

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Sure. Try and save her. Why not?

The Evolution and nature “the string shall survive” kinda goes out the window in an aquarium anyway.....,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store