Introducing Flowerhorn to new Aquarium

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Wow man, that is a very diverse diet. Which is a good thing. I have never used freeze dried crickets, you might want to soak those in aquarium water, for 3-5 mins to soften them up before you give them to him. Most freeze dried foods should be pre soaked. As for feeding him shrimp, make sure you chop it up very fine. Many Flowerhorns have gotten stomach problems from whole shrimp or large chunks of shrimp that can lead to stomach blockage. NEVER FEED LIVE FOOD! And I mean NEVER. Live foods can introduce bacteria into a fish's stomach that can kill them. His head growth looks great!! Keep the PH stable and make sure you complete your weekly water changes of 30-50%. I have been keeping flowerhorn for almost 20 years now and I'm glad to help a fellow flowerhorn keeper with a fish that can sometimes be hard to maintain. He should continue to develop beautifully for you. Ohhh and cheers to an Irish Brother. My last name is Mayo, I have never been there but assume you know the place...lol

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
Wow man, that is a very diverse diet. Which is a good thing. I have never used freeze dried crickets, you might want to soak those in aquarium water, for 3-5 mins to soften them up before you give them to him. Most freeze dried foods should be pre soaked. As for feeding him shrimp, make sure you chop it up very fine. Many Flowerhorns have gotten stomach problems from whole shrimp or large chunks of shrimp that can lead to stomach blockage. NEVER FEED LIVE FOOD! And I mean NEVER. Live foods can introduce bacteria into a fish's stomach that can kill them. His head growth looks great!! Keep the PH stable and make sure you complete your weekly water changes of 30-50%. I have been keeping flowerhorn for almost 20 years now and I'm glad to help a fellow flowerhorn keeper with a fish that can sometimes be hard to maintain. He should continue to develop beautifully for you. Ohhh and cheers to an Irish Brother. My last name is Mayo, I have never been there but assume you know the place...lol
Hey,

Thanks for comments. I will gladly take any advice from a 20 year veteran.

I have a 260 liter tank and I change either 80 or 100 liters weekly. My ph is 7.6 out of tap, so I don't mess with it. I keep the tank at 27 degrees Celsius.

I have feed him 1 of the freezed dried fish I received yesterday, just gave him small piece. He love it, was going crazy when I showed it to him... Ha. I never know about steeping in tanj water,. So I'll do that from now on.

Mayo is about 3 hours drive from me. Lovely place.. been there for many a beering session.. Ha..

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
Hey,

Thanks for the advice, I'll gladly take advice from a 20 year veteran.

I keep him in a 260 liter 4ft bow front tank, I may have to get bigger tank depending on how big he gets. I do 80 or 100 liter WC weekly. ph is 7.4 out of tap so I don't mess with it.

Mayo is about a 3 hours drive from me, lovely place, had many a beering session there.. ha

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
At one point I had over 280 gallons worth of tanks and all were filled with flowerhorns. I had two breeding pairs, hundreds of fry, and around 8 adult flowerhorns. I have downsized over the years and now I have just one tank up and running which is my 180 gallon. In that tank I have just one male and one female. Been on a losing streak with breeding as of late so I have two new flowerhorns that I'm going to try and make the magic happen with. Breeding these fish can be really tricky.

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
At one point I had over 280 gallons worth of tanks and all were filled with flowerhorns. I had two breeding pairs, hundreds of fry, and around 8 adult flowerhorns. I have downsized over the years and now I have just one tank up and running which is my 180 gallon. In that tank I have just one male and one female. Been on a losing streak with breeding as of late so I have two new flowerhorns that I'm going to try and make the magic happen with. Breeding these fish can be really tricky.
280 gallons,. That's a lot of WCs.. ha..

Yeah I have heard that about breeding alright. I'm way off stage Lol... I'll be happy to get my guy fully grown...

Keep me updated with Ur breeding project.

Cheers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store