juvenile alligator gar

swomley93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
Your 55 will work for a while but after he gets 12in hell start having problems turning around and start banging his nose, I suggest getting a 75gal for 18in deep, or a 120 standard 4x2x2 so he's got plenty of room not to hurt himself
Definatley, that's the plan cuz I want him to be able to live a while up until I can take him to this alligator gar exhibit at the zoo about an hour away

Jamesrazel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Ya I hear ya on that. Once mine is too big for the 120g its off the the zoo with him

Jamesrazel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Hand feeding DJ whole shrimp. Not too much or their stomach buldges tho

IMG_20151206_241435630.jpg

JJGray330

Feeder Fish
Sep 26, 2019
Hello, I have a 4 inch alligator gar that I have had for 5 days now, I am aware of their size and requirements and what it entails to keep this monster. My question is their eating habits, coloration, and characteristics. I keep about 5 small guppy in the tank normally and

I really don't see him eat a whole lot, and the only time he is active is when the lights are very dim, or off my lighting is a led strip it is petty bright is that a problem?

When the lights are on he doesn't move a lot and has light silver and black coloration, right when I turn the lights on after it has been dark, he doesn't have any black markings, or at least it's not that black defiantly a change, normal?

He seems to slide his nose across the glass instead of just strolling through the aquarium, I keep a good amount of fish and usually when that happens it means something does anyone know what?

He's not skin and bones but it just reassures me when I know he eats and with everyone saying how much they eat this one isn't adding up to all the hype, I just want to make sure that i am doing everything right for this fish , I appreciate all the responses and taking the time to read this post everyone , here's a picture of him when I saw him eat once

View attachment 1152662
That looks like it may be a striped pike characin to me. They are one of many "false gar" species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store