Knowledge required.. aquired 3hrs ago Leichardti saratoga. (arowana)

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
1522500574139-46024798.jpg got him in the 6ft. he Had jumped out behing the tank during the transfer flapping around in the dust cobwebs and other nasties. They are certainly flighty i dont know how he came outta the bucket at angle that he did but yeah by the time i was able to get to him with the net kinda dragging him along the ground he wasnt flipping around so much and was unbelievably covered in crap.. but all seems well enough.1522500657607-827479711.jpg

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Looks good, get a sheet of 5mm black acrylic and put it in the tank as a background.
Add a load of green plants. it will sort that tank right out;-)

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
View attachment 1307386 got him in the 6ft. he Had jumped out behing the tank during the transfer flapping around in the dust cobwebs and other nasties. They are certainly flighty i dont know how he came outta the bucket at angle that he did but yeah by the time i was able to get to him with the net kinda dragging him along the ground he wasnt flipping around so much and was unbelievably covered in crap.. but all seems well enough.View attachment 1307387
Back when I got my first Lei, I had it in the bag to acclimate. I had opened the bag so that I could add tank water to the bag.

I was on the phone talking to a family member telling him the fish came and how exited I was to get him. I heard a thump on the vinyl liner around my tank. I was still on the phone and walked over to the tank where I saw the 4" flopping around. He had jumped out of the bag.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
View attachment 1307386 got him in the 6ft. he Had jumped out behing the tank during the transfer flapping around in the dust cobwebs and other nasties. They are certainly flighty i dont know how he came outta the bucket at angle that he did but yeah by the time i was able to get to him with the net kinda dragging him along the ground he wasnt flipping around so much and was unbelievably covered in crap.. but all seems well enough.View attachment 1307387
Looks good. You will love having a lei. I agree that they are much less aggressive than jardini’s. Big ones seem rare in the hobby but if well cared for they get huge. The largest I’ve kept was 27”. Currently have an 18” growing out. They chill out as adults. I’ve found less light makes them more confident. This isn’t an aro one should try to tan etc... congrats on the pickup man

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Yeah i did mate it was $160. Whys that? They have one left
Would be good to go and buy the other one for yourself and have 2 of them.
I'd be tempted but no tank spare and wife would go crazy if I set up,another one. Seems a very good price, will spend more time looking in that shop when I'm in geelong next.

Reactions: Oz fish guy

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Nice little lei, grew a jardini years ago he was suprisigly mellow. Not to be picking but if that internal filters all you have on the tank id go and grab some sponges and swap the airstone for a sponge filter or two atleast. There not near as tough as cichlids when it comes to water quality.

Reactions: Oz fish guy

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
Looks good, get a sheet of 5mm black acrylic and put it in the tank as a background.
Add a load of green plants. it will sort that tank right out;-)
Yep im definitely not letting the tank stand like that..to boring. Was just showing that ive got him in :) already put some grafted wood with moss n java ferns but i dont like it.. i wanna do a native setup so im being picky and waiting for the right buys, instead of the usual impulsive just buy whatever i feel like at the time. I kinda have a plan for this tank. Will show ya when im happy with it.

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
Back when I got my first Lei, I had it in the bag to acclimate. I had opened the bag so that I could add tank water to the bag.

I was on the phone talking to a family member telling him the fish came and how exited I was to get him. I heard a thump on the vinyl liner around my tank. I was still on the phone and walked over to the tank where I saw the 4" flopping around. He had jumped out of the bag.
Bloody hell mate.. the thick glass tops ive got to stop him jumpin out are like 8mm lol pain in the ass to remove and alter. I hope he doesnt jump into the mirror. I laminated the back of the mirror to stop it hopefully from shattering into the tank if smashed.. mine has a bruise on his back from his crash landing on transfer.

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
I actually have never even seen an adult specimen of any of the types. Will be good to see him grow for sure.. what do you mean by its not an aro one should try to tan etc? Yeah bro i was thinking the same thing about getting another. The reading ive done about them is that they dislike their own kind alot. I could get away with it for a few months but i believe there would be a victim in the end..

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
Nice little lei, grew a jardini years ago he was suprisigly mellow. Not to be picking but if that internal filters all you have on the tank id go and grab some sponges and swap the airstone for a sponge filter or two atleast. There not near as tough as cichlids when it comes to water quality.
Yep i have a canister filter on the way off ebay will be here friday. Everything is so much cheaper online but i gotta wait... will dump the bio load into the canister filter from the internal then run the internal as a powerhead :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store