Largest Fish that can be kept in a 240l (64 us gallon) tank for life?

BobCat

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ireland
Hi guys, as the title says, I am wondering what the largest fish would be that could be kept in a 64 gallon tank for life?
I like big fish but obviously this size of tank prohibits the keeping of any true monster fish.

I guess anything large would have to be solitary, are we talking maybe a dwarf snakehead?

Dream fish would be a gulper catfish but think it would require something larger.

Anyway, open t suggestions as to what the largest fish would be that could be kept successfully.

Any and all help appreciated. :)

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
A warmouth sunfish would work. They get about 8" long, and they aren't very active. Nice pattern, too, and lots of personality.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
what are the dimensions of the aquarium, that's the real question. From what I understand gulpers stay small, depending on the footprint, you could probably keep one in their. I've seen 5 in a 56 gallon column aquarium. Dwarf snakehead would be my choice, but again depends on the dimensions.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
you could do some small snakeheads. any small community fish, sunfish
Even dwarf snakeheads get 8"..."some small snakeheads..." plural?
A single gulper or a single Oscar makes way more sense that some snakeheads...and if aggression is personality, then all the drivers in SoCal are best friend material!
OP, get a gulper and realize your dream.....

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
This is a tough one, it would be heavily dependent on the footprint; say for instance, if you had a tank with dimensions:

length: 62 inches
width: 16 inches
height: 15 inches

That's 64 gallons approximately, and I'd have no qualms about putting an oscar in there, with 5x overall length of the fish at maturity, and space enough to turn around, the only real factor would be water quality upkeep.

By the same token, if any of these dimensions were constraining; such as the length or width, I wouldn't do the oscar

Reactions: boldtogether
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store