Leucistic Convict X Firemouth Eggs (maybe)

Nano Vanisher

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2017
Good morning, My male pink convict and female firemouth have had a loose pair bond for a couple of weeks. Her female papilla was out all day and I observed them looking for a place to lay. They were taking all day , when I woke up she was guarding the clutch. I did not see him fertilize the clutch. I was going to wait after the hatched, before posting but my last batch, I didn't pull from a different breeding pair first time mommy, ate her wigglers by the time my coffee kicked in. So far all of my breeding attempts have failed either from catfish eating , parents eating or completely unfertilized across all my breeding types. I pulled the eggs and they turned whitish very quickly. I put an air bubble in the pot with air flowing directly on the eggs in the pot. I used a flashlight to view the eggs. I am concerned that either the air directly on the eggs is not good (saw a ram breeder do it), the bombardment of light from strong flashlight ect. is all wrong. I have a much larger hybridization goal of crossing several different central American cichlids , ranging from Green Texas , Parrot, Leucistic Convict, Jack Dempsey, Rainbows. I will not be distributing to anyone who does not want explicit hybrid CA fish. What am I doing wrong? here is a picture of the bubbler. I did back to back 50% water changes they have been on Hikari sinking cichlid Gold pellets, frozen shrimp and blood worms. 80 degree temp with a few fluctuations to 82 then back down. Am I on the right track?anything I should be doing completely different? I am new. Your experience is appreciated.

20171019_074549.jpg

Nano Vanisher

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2017
I did find a pile of wigglers for my non hybrid breeding, mom did not eat wigglers. She stashed them in a pit.

Nano Vanisher

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2017
Batch I thought was eaten. She moved them from pot to pit and back to pot.The hybrid clutch should hatch by Sunday. Non Hybrid Firemouth clutch below mother.Firemouth Clutch.jpg

Nano Vanisher

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2017
The airstone was too strong directly under hybrid clutch . I awoke to eggs being blown about. I turned it down , I think they may be ok.I will just have to be very careful when moving them from the divided 40 gallon to their new ten gallon , I setup for the hybrid babies. The NON hybrid wigglers, I have right now , have survived another night , despite the puffers and cory cats. I have since introduced my green texas with another CA community tank with a rainbow, female pink convict, firemouth and parrot. I will see if I can get a loose pair bond out that combination to breed to the FMxPC I am incubating or the males will be sterile and have to do something else.

Nano Vanisher

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2017
I spilled about half of the eggs into the gravel. I tried not to but I need a third hand. I did get the rest moved over. I hope the ones spilt in the gravel will make to free swimmer. Here are the results after the tank move.FMXPC eggs in pot after airstone.jpg spilled  FMXPC eggs.jpg

Nano Vanisher

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2017
Confirmed first wiggler of Hybrid Pink Convict and Firemouth. picture hard for one wiggler will update once more are visible.

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
Nice one man. FireCons are interesting looking but very drab. Sadly they get most of their genes from the convict (as with most con crosses). They do get a kind of FM shape though which is cool.

Nano Vanisher

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2017
Thanks ~T~ ! I agree. I see the cryptoheros behavior as great personalty and they are like glue for hybridization second to the firemouth. I love the spots on the firemouth gill plates that emulate eyes and the large gullet they flare. I have started the recessive leucistic gene and will get it to come from the other side some way in the future. 50% con is too much. My jack Dempsey and rainbow are cozying up nicely, as well as some others , but no other hybrid clutch to mix in yet. I will try and get the flare gullet and then start on some color!

Hybrid Firecon Wigglers.jpg

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
Yeah hopefully you can get the leucism to come out somehow. I kinda wanted to do the same as what you are doing but with pink con(or calico) and sajica. Those are defo fertile. Not sure about firecons though, hopefully yes. Good luck man and keep us posted!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store