Long Nosed Gar MAX Size in Captivity?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Well, for me a fish reaching its maximum potential size is optimal. I guess in my mind thats a sign I took proper care of it. I will agree, there are many ways to look at it.
Yes. I see our difference clearer now. Your "optimal" refers to a champion size fish. My "optimal" refers to the OP's planning situation. Say he/she was expecting a baby. We wouldn't tell him/her that they better be prepared to provide in 15 years 11' ceilings and 10' door clearances, just because some humans reach 7', and 8', and the known and documented human Goliath towered at 9'. If the OP planned for that, that wouldn't be optimal... whilst he/she could plan for that and build the specialty house and buy specialty vehicles and lay away money for specialty clothes and shoes and furniture ... and then his son or daughter would stop growing at 5.5'-6' and the investment and the stress the OP will have endured would be moot. IDK. Is my logic faulty?

What you and hong both said was realistic, and quite possible. I also agree that lifes very unpredictable, things happen. If/when they do it's okay to need to get rid of your pets even if it sucks. But, I do feel people should go into pets with atleast the mindset of "okay, if all goes well this *insert pet* could get this big, will I be able to house it should it get to that?". No ones perfect, but Id like to believe one can have good intentions beyond giving a fish a good home in the immediate short term when playing with the life of an animal.
Totally agreed - if interested, see my post #16, page 2, "The MEAT", colored section, point [6]: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ough-for-an-adult-giant-gourami.722614/page-2

But yes, bigger would be better, and Ill admit I was short sighted in the fact I was envisioning an upgrade for a 4' fish [around 800 gallons at least].
800 gal won't cut it. 8'x8'x2' is 960 gal. A 4' fish in it is a betta in a 1 quart bowl, it'd be an epitome of cruelty, not to mention the fish will bail, or break it.

800 gallons is definitely nothing to gawk at, and would definitely take some hard work. But having personally built 10x12' enclosures for my water monitor, I just know that with research anyone can build an enclosure if they truly care. I will definitely admit a watertight aquarium over 1000 gallons would be one hell of a headache to not only build but even source materials, and is no easy feat. But my point with my original post on this thread was to say "hey, just incase you get a grower, it COULD reach this size, so be prepared for a big ol' fishy after a few years.
Agreed again. I hope the OP understood that in my opinion the "COULD" qualifier is a million or a hundred million to one. And let the OP make their own conclusions.

Thank you. I enjoyed talking it out and thinking aloud with you. In case we are done...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store