Longterm Oscar bloat - what can be done?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Fair enough, but Levamisole is only effective for worms, and only specific worms, so unless there is an indication of worms in this set up, I would personally start small. Doctors are always so quick to hand out prescriptions! Lol. JK. ;)
Lol

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Not only Drs, but aquarists seem to always want a quick med fix, when most diseases (albeit the obvious parasitic worms, like Lernea, or protozoans like ick) are best treated by controlling the source of the problem, not putting a bandaid on it.
Most diseases are caused by stress
Stress can be the wrong or too many tank mates, in too small a space, with too few water changes. or
The wrong water type the fish has evolved to live in (and it may be only 1 or 2 components) or components in combination with something like elevated nitrate.
Etc Etc.
Before I retired as a microbiologist I did experiments trying to grow certain bacteria in the lab under varying conditions.
The bacteria that cause HITH and some digestive maladies seemed to grow best in agar in pH levels of 7.5 and above.
So if an Amazonian fish that has evolved to live in a pH of below 7, and next to 0.5 ppm nitrate, this fish has not had to develop resistance, or evolutionary response to those bacteria......
hence an oscar, Uaru, or Geophagine from a river with pH 6, but plopped in a aquarium with pH 7.6 water and 10 ppm nitrate, is not in a great position to resist HITH or bloat, or other chronic maladies.
Yet a molly or Central American cichlid evolved to live in water with pH of 8, can remain relatively unscathed.

Last edited:

eligri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2023
Agree
If no new fish or plants have been added, the addition of parasites would be negligible.
OP You give pH, but not water hardness or other data that may lead to chronic problems with soft water species, and that may take years to slowly develop.
Bacteria can develop under certain mineral conditions and cause chronic disease, they are ubiquitous in the right water conditions
Is your water from a well that could be high in iron, or some other mineral,?
That ...in concert with 10-20ppm nitrate before a water change may be a causative soup.

Beside trying the epsom salts, I'd double up on frequency ,and volume of water changes to see if things improve.
That water change schedule may have been adequate when the oscar was young, but I don't consider a 35% to 50% water change once per week adequate in that size tank for an adult oscar with other tank mates.
I will check the hardness next time I'm there. Would really 10-20ppm nitrate towards the end of the WC schedule be damaging, even longterm? Even 10ppm is considered acceptable for drinking water, so not uncommon that the tap has that high. Remember, most of the week he will be in 5-10 ppm nitrate levels, only last day or two will be at that 10-20ppm (that was measured after 9.5 days, not the usual 7 day intervals I do waterchanges). Unfortunately the fish had to remain at my parents house when I moved out, due to my apartment being too small. So more frequent than weekly waterchanges is not really viable year around, but perhaps I should up the WC to 50-60% weekly instead of 35-50% every 7-10 days?

Anyways, his bloat has gone down slightly after 4 days of no food. He has also become far more active, moving gravel around, eyeing other fish, moving his "favorite" fake plant, etc. He is acting 100% normal now, but still bloated (albeit less). Should I still try epsom and eventually metro? Going to my parents house tomorrow (where the fish is), so can start any treatment plan then.

Got 14 days until I am gone on a 13 day trip. Those 13 days will unfortunately be without waterchanges, but I will bring his meals down to half size (and doing waterchanges multiple days in a row before leaving, so should be very low nitrates to start with). So should be fine, unless his condition gets worse again.

Reactions: tlindsey

eligri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2023
Agree
If no new fish or plants have been added, the addition of parasites would be negligible.
OP You give pH, but not water hardness or other data that may lead to chronic problems with soft water species, and that may take years to slowly develop.
Bacteria can develop under certain mineral conditions and cause chronic disease, they are ubiquitous in the right water conditions
Is your water from a well that could be high in iron, or some other mineral,?
That ...in concert with 10-20ppm nitrate before a water change may be a causative soup.

Beside trying the epsom salts, I'd double up on frequency ,and volume of water changes to see if things improve.
That water change schedule may have been adequate when the oscar was young, but I don't consider a 35% to 50% water change once per week adequate in that size tank for an adult oscar with other tank mates.
Unfortunately my liquid test kit that has gH and kH has expired since march 2021, so do not fully trust them.

30 drops of gH did not react, so either both my tap water and aquarium has OVER 30 gH, or that test is faulty (guessing the latter, we have pretty good communal water; not a well or anything like that).

kH showed 5.

Thoughts on that?

eligri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2023
Not only Drs, but aquarists seem to always want a quick med fix, when most diseases (albeit the obvious parasitic worms, like Lernea, or protozoans like ick) are best treated by controlling the source of the problem, not putting a bandaid on it.
Most diseases are caused by stress
Stress can be the wrong or too many tank mates, in too small a space, with too few water changes. or
The wrong water type the fish has evolved to live in (and it may be only 1 or 2 components) or components in combination with something like elevated nitrate.
Etc Etc.
Before I retired as a microbiologist I did experiments trying to grow certain bacteria in the lab under varying conditions.
The bacteria that cause HITH and some digestive maladies seemed to grow best in agar in pH levels of 7.5 and above.
So if an Amazonian fish that has evolved to live in a pH of below 7, and next to 0.5 ppm nitrate, this fish has not had to develop resistance, or evolutionary response to those bacteria......
hence an oscar, Uaru, or Geophagine from a river with pH 6, but plopped in a aquarium with pH 7.6 water and 10 ppm nitrate, is not in a great position to resist HITH or bloat, or other chronic maladies.
Yet a molly or Central American cichlid evolved to live in water with pH of 8, can remain relatively unscathed.
Gave him 50mg of metro today dosed in gelatine food. I believe he ate maybe 50% of it, so 25mg. Will it help if I can get a dose of that size in him daily for a few days now?

Unfortunately the pleco's got some in them also, but likely just a mg or two each, so shouldn't be bad.

Also noticed my Oscar has a very hard time swallowing food. He has always had that, but COULD be worse now. He tries several times with each pellet, but most just ends up being expelled through mouth and gills after a lot of chewing.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Unfortunately my liquid test kit that has gH and kH has expired since march 2021, so do not fully trust them.
After reading this, and finding an old expired test kit in a drawer, expired in 2018
I decided to take the opportunity to check and see how far off reagents expired 5 years ago, (or not), it would be from a new test kit.
IMG_0232.jpeg
Above the old one.
Below the new one
IMG_0234.jpeg
Not that I'm extolling the virtues of using expired tests, but.....other than a slight difference, they both give the same readings
On the standard pH reagent, my tanks water overwhelmed its ability to measure acuritly (blue too dark on both old and new)
requiring the use of a high range pH reagent, both reading the red of @ 8.2.
And both nitrate reagents (old and new) the same yellow, both in the non detectable range

eligri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2023
After reading this, and finding an old expired test kit in a drawer, expired in 2018
I decided to take the opportunity to check and see how far off reagents expired 5 years ago, (or not), it would be from a new test kit.
View attachment 1512993
Above the old one.
Below the new one
View attachment 1512994
Not that I'm extolling the virtues of using expired tests, but.....other than a slight difference, they both give the same readings
On the standard pH reagent, my tanks water overwhelmed its ability to measure acuritly (blue too dark on both old and new)
requiring the use of a high range pH reagent, both reading the red of @ 8.2.
And both nitrate reagents (old and new) the same yellow, both in the non detectable range
Well a gH of over 30 in both my tap and aquarium can't really be right, can it? It's regular communal water, so really doubt its THAT high gH.

eligri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2023
3rd day of treating with Metro. His poop looks kind of odd. Side effect of the meds?

No significant decrease in bloat, but perhaps down a bit!

Acts normal now. Hungry!IMG_7798.jpg

Reactions: kno4te

eligri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2023
He has passed some large poops, and his bloat has gone down even more. Feeling good and hungry again!
He has also been able to swallow food properly.

His anus is however a little swollen. Perhaps just from passing a stool? Going away for 13 days on friday morning, so medicating is no longer a good idea incase of complications.Screenshot_20230222-161523_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230222-161510_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
He has passed some large poops, and his bloat has gone down even more. Feeling good and hungry again!
He has also been able to swallow food properly.

His anus is however a little swollen. Perhaps just from passing a stool? Going away for 13 days on friday morning, so medicating is no longer a good idea incase of complications.View attachment 1513499

View attachment 1513500
Great update!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store