Miami canal catches

midnight

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2006
under a bridge in fl
Louie;2064266; said:
That makes sense never occured to me that the black/white mosquito fish males and few females I have inside in tank arent breeding as fast since indoors.

I keep lots mosquito fish in my cichlid pond but than again the cichlids eat them so only have a few fry here and there.

Why do you net so many mosquito fish for fishing?
i feed my fish mosquito fish,and everything else i net

i feed skeeter fish to

2x payaras
2x bichirs
1x barracuda
1x mayan
1x warmouth
1x 2' aro lol
2x pacus "they eat them too"
1x port acara
6x jewel cichlids

all eat skeeter fish :D

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Onion01;2061131; said:
dang, those are some sweet catches! where are you fishing in miami? If you want nonstop tilapia and mayan fishing (lame!) you should try the UM canal behind the wellness center.
there used to be some big cudas, and also jacks, snook, and ladyfish in those UM canals

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2064938; said:
there used to be some big cudas, and also jacks, snook, and ladyfish in those UM canals

Arent some of those fish saltwater fish?

I actually prefer the canals over the lakes because like looking at the tiny neat cichlids,tropical fish .

Its to bad some of the canals infact many are impossible to get to as simply no parking in the area

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Louie;2066451; said:
Arent some of those fish saltwater fish?

I actually prefer the canals over the lakes because like looking at the tiny neat cichlids,tropical fish .

Its to bad some of the canals infact many are impossible to get to as simply no parking in the area
those are saltwater indeed, I assume the water there is brackish. what canals are near you?

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
We will probably go to the UM canal soon. The canal where the midas and managuense was caught is actually nt the one weve seen the most fish. Are usual fishing spots has ALOT more fish. I usually just net out the skeeter fish for my hubby to cast out to catch the bigger fish. Its a matter of just stopping and scoping out every canal u pass :p

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2067864; said:
those are saltwater indeed, I assume the water there is brackish. what canals are near you?

I mostly fish the Canals in Doral the best canal has Miyans like the one you caught little cichlids like convicts- jewels- africans -tropical fish and ofcourse common mosquito.
Thats an out of the way canal .

Some of the canals are so so a few are good all have something mostly PB and Talipa but I prefer smaller cichlids or diff types cichlids.

The canals here not all but many have that pain weed that grows like crazy or huge mats of anachris great for fish but big pain for fishermen.

I also go to one in Kendall with oscars and talipia that NEVER bite .

I fish a particular lake in area with PB but that got old as tired of them though did catch 3 jags in same lake .

Some of the most interesting cichlids I have seen here are on Golf courses lol as imagine they stock those ponds with anything even cory cats lol.
Size of golf balls but cory cats nevertheless .

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
woofy;2069616; said:
We will probably go to the UM canal soon. The canal where the midas and managuense was caught is actually nt the one weve seen the most fish. Are usual fishing spots has ALOT more fish. I usually just net out the skeeter fish for my hubby to cast out to catch the bigger fish. Its a matter of just stopping and scoping out every canal u pass :p

Its funny I am not into big fish as not interested little cichlids that as you know can be close to impossible to catch are what I like.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Louie;2075435; said:
I mostly fish the Canals in Doral the best canal has Miyans like the one you caught little cichlids like convicts- jewels- africans -tropical fish and ofcourse common mosquito.
Thats an out of the way canal .
when you say africans, are you refering to just jewels and the miscellaneous tilapias, or is there something else in those canals? I'm down by practically the Redlands, so I don't know the Doral area too well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store