Southern NH USA
Nice!

What's the time span and growth rate?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
How did you go about getting it on pellets?

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
How did you go about getting it on pellets?
Well since I've owned it I've had it housed with geos, clown loaches, Congo tetras and filament barbs. I was feeding them pellets, frozen bloodworms and I'd go every other day feeding the worms. For awhile he would strike the barbs and eat their scales and then I started seeing him chase down the Congo tetras until they would drop the pellets... He would then eat them that way for awhile till he finally knew to wait for me to drop them. So I'd say he learned from watching his tank mates and me not feeding any live to the tank aswell helped out.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice find.It's amazing how much faster dats grow once they start eating pellets.

Reactions: FunWow!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
My IT is about 1.5" right now. Picked him up the beginning of this past summer. He's growing out I'm a 5gal. I tried to do the watch and learn method, using neons and guppies I picked up for really cheap. He ended up eating the neons which I thought would be too big for him to swallow......I was wrong. Eventually killed all the guppies as well.

I'm going to try homing him in the 29gal with my CL growouts now that he's plump and appears very healthy.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
My IT is about 1.5" right now. Picked him up the beginning of this past summer. He's growing out I'm a 5gal. I tried to do the watch and learn method, using neons and guppies I picked up for really cheap. He ended up eating the neons which I thought would be too big for him to swallow......I was wrong. Eventually killed all the guppies as well.

I'm going to try homing him in the 29gal with my CL growouts now that he's plump and appears very healthy.
Yeah by having him in with them all he probably thought about was eating them. You want to make sure you have him in with stuff he can't eat and the other fish you want to come to the top when your about to feed. Keep any thing he might be able to eat out of the tank.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Nice find.It's amazing how much faster dats grow once they start eating pellets.
I remember the days of feeders... LoL. I'll never go back to feeding anything live. I've seen the results of pellet feeding on a lot of different fish and I do enjoy not having to worry about parasites and disease from feeders.

Reactions: viper0397

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Yeah by having him in with them all he probably thought about was eating them. You want to make sure you have him in with stuff he can't eat and the other fish you want to come to the top when your about to feed. Keep any thing he might be able to eat out of the tank.
The CL in the 29 range from 2"-4" should be a good arrangement. Too big for the IT to eat or kill.

Reactions: FunWow!
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store