My new betta tank ;)

Is this looking good for a first tropical tank?

• Total voters

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Would any other Guppy's work, or would the Betta attack them?

Do Cory's not need a group of 5? That is too many for a small tank like this.

I also put some pellets in the tank to add ammonia to the water and help cycle the tank
Only reason I mentioned the dwarf Poecilia species is to conserve space. There is potential for conflicts with Betta but a small school can work. Really a better tank mate would be 5 pygmy Corydora. Only reason I even recommend other tank mates is you have a decent filtration system.

Hendre Hendre
I have a group of 3 - 2 albinos and a larger Peppered in a growout with a few Geos, a Gymnogeo and 2 EBJDs and bunch of other bottomfeeders and dithers and they are doing very well and growing "fast". They eat ALOT considering you'd think the food would never make it to them, but I'm a maniac when it comes to feeding lol I like to sit there and watch and keep adding more until EVERYTHING gets food. I like Wailua Boy's idea about 5 of them, I don't see any reason a Betta and 5 corys would be a problem, it's not like they put off a lot of waste.....they're very small fish. You could even possibly try one of the very small species of Synodontis ....there are some that only grow a few inches.....

.......but there are also some that can grow close to 2 feet or more.

Microsynodontis batesii is a little upside-down cat that doesn't even reach 4"

Last edited:

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have a group of 3 - 2 albinos and a larger Peppered in a growout with a few Geos, a Gymnogeo and 2 EBJDs and bunch of other bottomfeeders and dithers and they are doing very well and growing "fast". They eat ALOT considering you'd think the food would never make it to them, but I'm a maniac when it comes to feeding lol I like to sit there and watch and keep adding more until EVERYTHING gets food. I like Wailua Boy's idea about 5 of them, I don't see any reason a Betta and 5 corys would be a problem, it's not like they put off a lot of waste.....they're very small fish. You could even possibly try one of the very small species of Synodontis ....there are some that only grow a few inches.....

.......but there are also some that can grow close to 2 feet or more.

Microsynodontis batesii is a little upside-down cat that doesn't even reach 4"
I think a small group of corys is ideal in a 5gal tank.
I added established matrix media to the tank to help chomp down the ammonia and such from the extra pellets I put in, and also hopefully to hasten the demise of the bacteria bloom.
Grey haze is bacteria right?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I think a small group of corys is ideal in a 5gal tank.
I added established matrix media to the tank to help chomp down the ammonia and such from the extra pellets I put in, and also hopefully to hasten the demise of the bacteria bloom.
Grey haze is bacteria right?
yea, from what I gather it's a bacteria, I never had it before so i'm going off someone else. If I'm not mistaken, Green Corys and Albino Corys are the same species (a.k.a. Albino Green Cory), which only grow like 2", so they'd be a great choice....Peppered gets a little bigger, but still not over 3". Pandas only go 2" also

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
yea, from what I gather it's a bacteria, I never had it before so i'm going off someone else. If I'm not mistaken, Green Corys and Albino Corys are the same species (a.k.a. Albino Green Cory), which only grow like 2", so they'd be a great choice....Peppered gets a little bigger, but still not over 3". Pandas only go 2" also
Cool beans. I'll see what they have at the LFS tomorrow.
After I sort out the Betta it's on to my jack dempseys

Kaia

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2015
NW Washington
Avoid any nippy or long finned tank mates but the personality makes a big difference too I had one Betta that got beat up by danios so I picked up the most aggressive one I could find and he did great with them and the cory's

Kaia

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2015
NW Washington
Mine were in a 10 gal though I agree with frank castle and everyone else a few corydoras will liven up the tank quite a lot with no worries

Reactions: Frank Castle

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
5 gallons is on the smaller side that's why I thought pygmy cories wouldn't tax your bio-filter too bad. Standard sized cories can add a fair amount of waste, being a catfish....

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
5 gallons is on the smaller side that's why I thought pygmy cories wouldn't tax your bio-filter too bad. Standard sized cories can add a fair amount of waste, being a catfish....
which species is the pygmy? I found Giants...uhm, Barbatus, I think that go 4", then of course the little Aeneus, but I didn't see any "pygmy" listed

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Corydoras pygmaeus but I think there are 3-4species that are very similar that are traded as Pygmy Corydoras.
Frank Castle Frank Castle

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store