My new betta tank ;)

Is this looking good for a first tropical tank?

• Total voters

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Most cories are too active and need more space. Honestly, even dwarf or pygmy cories are a squeeze, they like lots of space to wiggle around in. I'd suggest a solo betta, maybe an amano shrimp or some cheap neos- sometimes bettas don't care about shrimp, sometimes they slowly pick them to pieces.

Reactions: convict360

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Most cories are too active and need more space. Honestly, even dwarf or pygmy cories are a squeeze, they like lots of space to wiggle around in. I'd suggest a solo betta, maybe an amano shrimp or some cheap neos- sometimes bettas don't care about shrimp, sometimes they slowly pick them to pieces.
while you do make a very good point, I think a tank without bottom-feeders isn't "healthy". I have a FH alone and the tank grows algae and gets whiteworms while none of my other tanks do because they have bottom-feeders or fry. IF he could get pygmy it would be best, for sure, but I think a few greens or pandas would be fine. I guess he could always go with a lone Clown Pleco. My Betta tank was a 2g w/ an Ottocintus and an albino cory ....he's got more than 2x that...exactly 3.5 more gallons than mine

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have very good filtration of media and some plants so i could put a few cories in maybe 4 max. Shrimp are hard to get here

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Filtration is only one factor. Yes, the tank will technically be clean with four albino cories in it, but they won't have enough space. When I say space, I don't mean in terms of bio-load, I mean physical space. Also, cories are schooling fish, so you should really have at least six.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Filtration is only one factor. Yes, the tank will technically be clean with four albino cories in it, but they won't have enough space. When I say space, I don't mean in terms of bio-load, I mean physical space. Also, cories are schooling fish, so you should really have at least six.
I've heard 1/2 the people I talk to say 3 and the other half say 6. IDK who is correct.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
He is settled in and is active
Feeding him flake food unfortunately the light cover is burnt yellow so it doesnt look so great
20160321_140532.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Personally, I don't feel you need to add cories, unless its just something you want to do.

In regards to cories, they do not need to school. Schooling is for the sole purpose of bettering the chance of survival...in the WILD. A typical schooling fish will not just shoot down and die just because they are kept solitary.

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Actually, many small schooling fish will become incredibly stressed if kept on their own, to the point where they become extremely prone to disease. Many others, including cories, will be much less active and will exhibit much less natural behavior without tankmates. And cories are a playful bunch, they appear to enjoy interacting with each other, and they get more active the more you have.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Actually, many small schooling fish will become incredibly stressed if kept on their own, to the point where they become extremely prone to disease. Many others, including cories, will be much less active and will exhibit much less natural behavior without tankmates. And cories are a playful bunch, they appear to enjoy interacting with each other, and they get more active the more you have.
After more than 3 decades of fishkeeping, I have observed many so called "schooling" fish thrive as a single specimen whether this is by chance or purposely arranged. Water quality aside, stress factors all depends on their tank mates, lighting intensity and covers available. I've witness cories, clown loaches, guppies, mollies, and many more species that has grown out and lived for years as a single specimen. I have a roseline barb, that I've grown out, living with a bunch of 8"-12" CA for the past 2.5 years.

Plus, there are fish that school/shoal in nature, but put them together in a home aquarium and they will kill each other.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Really cories aren't classified as a schooling fish like a Danio or barb. They do seem to enjoy their own company and exhibit social behaviors and are seen in aggregations in the wild but its more of a shoaling behavior than true schooling as far as I know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store