Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Beautiful Escondido Carpintis. Often labeled "Blue Texas" or "Elecrtic Blue Texas". But I can assure you that is a Carpintis Cichlid. Telling Gender with these fish can be tricky. I love the gold, blue, and teal pearls they have. They are just wrapped in pearls from tail to lips. I have one too.

Reactions: Fishenvy

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Beautiful Escondido Carpintis. Often labeled "Blue Texas" or "Elecrtic Blue Texas". But I can assure you that is a Carpintis Cichlid. Telling Gender with these fish can be tricky. I love the gold, blue, and teal pearls they have. They are just wrapped in pearls from tail to lips. I have one too.
A supposed breeder is saying he has a female for sale but she does not have the black mark on her top fin.

What are the chances that hes mistaken?

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
The black mark on the dorsal fin is not a guaranteed way of telling gender. When there is a black mark, and it is very pronounced, it often means female. The chances that a breeder is mistaken about gender can happen often especially when it comes to carpintis cichlids. The different collection points of these fish have many of them showing not only different pearls and fins but also different head profiles.

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
The black mark on the dorsal fin is not a guaranteed way of telling gender. When there is a black mark, and it is very pronounced, it often means female. The chances that a breeder is mistaken about gender can happen often especially when it comes to carpintis cichlids. The different collection points of these fish have many of them showing not only different pearls and fins but also different head profiles.
I will look further into studying the head shapes and angles.

Here is the pair in question. The one on the left looks female to my untrained eyes

IMG_0094.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Ask the breeder to send you a clear vent picture of both of them. If they are different then one is male and one is female. From that picture I have no idea what gender I'm looking at.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store