My poor Oscar and my first CA Cichlid

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Hi all,

I'm new here so a big hello to all :)

Unfortunately, my Oscar decided to commit suicide by jumping out of his tank, clear across the garage. I found him hours later, blood everywhere :-(.

Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to get another Oscar and wanted something with personality but a little smaller. So yesterday I purchased a baby Jack Dempsey the will hopefully be able to go into my 75G when it gets bigger with my Australia Bass (right now he is in a 29G). My question is, the JD is swimming around the tank like crazy. I have put a clay pot and made a little cave with some rocks. Is this normal behaviour? if not would you suggest my hiding places?

Thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all,

I'm new here so a big hello to all :)

Unfortunately, my Oscar decided to commit suicide by jumping out of his tank, clear across the garage. I found him hours later, blood everywhere :-(.

Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to get another Oscar and wanted something with personality but a little smaller. So yesterday I purchased a baby Jack Dempsey the will hopefully be able to go into my 75G when it gets bigger with my Australia Bass (right now he is in a 29G). My question is, the JD is swimming around the tank like crazy. I have put a clay pot and made a little cave with some rocks. Is this normal behaviour? if not would you suggest my hiding places?

Thanks
Welcome to MFK ☺

Like crazy do you mean like spazzing out or constant swimming? If JD is spazzing I would check water parameters or even check temp of water as well. If just swimming around normal and breathing normal.probably just scared and will eventually settle down in a few days. Little JD will need the caves until it gets to know you mean no harm.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Like crazy do you mean like spazzing out or constant swimming? If JD is spazzing I would check water parameters or even check temp of water as well. If just swimming around normal and breathing normal.probably just scared and will eventually settle down in a few days. Little JD will need the caves until it gets to know you mean no harm.
Just up and down the glass. He swims right up to me already when I go near the tank.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just up and down the glass. He swims right up to me already when I go near the tank.

Ok.thats fine. Have you offered food to the JD ? It's not a big deal if JD doesn't eat the first day or so.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Try to check if there is any current leakage in the tank from heater or some filter or the lights as that might make the fish to go nuts and jump out of water.
I hope it's not the heater as I've had my hand in the tank a couple of times. Only using a sponge filter and no light. How would I check if there is a current leakage?

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Ok.thats fine. Have you offered food to the JD ? It's not a big deal if JD doesn't eat the first day or so.
He has eaten some new life spectrum mini pellets today. I was going to give blood worms but thought to try to get him eating dry food first.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Try to check if there is any current leakage in the tank from heater or some filter or the lights as that might make the fish to go nuts and jump out of water.

Great advice was thinking the same thing when he mentioned it was swimming around crazy.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Could it also just be more of a CA/JD thing compared to Oscars etc?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
He has eaten some new life spectrum mini pellets today. I was going to give blood worms but thought to try to get him eating dry food first.

If he is eating I say JD is fine but would offer bloodworms every once in awhile as a treat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store