My shoe head catfish.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
How long have you had the fish? I agree with TBTB. I think you'd be doing more harm doing so. The fish may never settle in the tank like that.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I swear live aquaria gave me this one just to make me mad.
Anyway since people have showed objection (I'm honestly suprised it didn't happen as soon as I mentioned it) I will reveal what has been my plan. When I had started feeding him manually because he hadn't eaten in days and I had proof of it. That was before snails got into the tank. I have been trying to get him to feed for an hour everyday since I started making him eat by force. I've tried sticking it on the end of some fishing line and slowly moving it along, jerking it sometimes, making it come at him fast hoping it would trigger his predator instincts, moving it slowly by him, having it "fall" on him, I've even tried "hitting" him in the face with it lightly. The only trick o personally have left in my book is to soak his food in garlic to try to get him to eat on his own. Gonna try it tonight. If anyone has any other suggestion I'm open to anything at this point.
Oh yeah, there is 1 more thing I could do beside the garlic but it's more of my final stand type deal. I have a heavily planted 29 gallon that I could put him in. Here's the stock for it.
3 angelfish
1 uaru
1 mega clown pleco
1 bristlenose pleco
1 krib
1 female betta
7 zebra danios
12 brilliant rasboras
1-3 celestial danios (can't get a head count anymore)
1-2 scarlet badis
3 dwarf pencil fish
I might be forgetting something. The angelfish, uaru, and plecos are just grow outs. They aren't big enough to cause a problem or small enough to be eaten. Now I have been saving this option as my final stand because I really love my small fish. It originally was going to be a nano fish with ottos hopefully breeding and cherry shrimp breeding tank but things got a little side tracked and I got bigger fish. Anyway, I'm willing to give up my nano fish and even the betta to him if it means he'll finally eat on his own.
What should I do?
I'm not moving him before I try the garlic today.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You mind posting a video of them feeding kno?
Also sorry for kinda hijacking your thread :oops:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You mind posting a video of them feeding kno?
Also sorry for kinda hijacking your thread :oops:
No worry for the derail. If ur fish eat then I’m ok with it!

I’ll try and post tomorrow. Plan to feed tomorrow.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Thanks man. I'm thinking that I may just fast him for 5 days and then try garlic tilapia or garlic pellets or garlic nightcrawlers or whatever I can get my hands on.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks man. I'm thinking that I may just fast him for 5 days and then try garlic tilapia or garlic pellets or garlic nightcrawlers or whatever I can get my hands on.
Best thing is to keep it comfortable and not stress it out. Just keep it simple. It likes driftwood and plantss so provide it. Leave it alone for 2 days then offer a piece of food with minimal disturbance. Should work.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
  • Well this is just bloody wonderful. I come home from school and what do I find? THE SHOEHEAD DEAD!!! it never ate from day one and I knew this was how it was gonna end up! The mere thought of it is making my blood boil and make me see red. It's taking everything I have not to just start smashing stuff. I tried every god damn trick in the book with this catfish and he still dies!!! I have to get our of the house before I end up breaking something.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
  • Well this is just bloody wonderful. I come home from school and what do I find? THE SHOEHEAD DEAD!!! it never ate from day one and I knew this was how it was gonna end up! The mere thought of it is making my blood boil and make me see red. It's taking everything I have not to just start smashing stuff. I tried every god damn trick in the book with this catfish and he still dies!!! I have to get our of the house before I end up breaking something.
Sorry for the loss.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I'm not giving up. I'm just gonna find some somewhere that are eating and have video proof of it and then get them and recreate everything about the tank they were in. I refuse to give up.
Anyway, seeing as I no longer have my shoehead I'm not revelant to this thread anymore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store