New Flowerhorn Not Aggressive

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Hello guys,

So i purchased a 5-6" Male SRD Flowerhorn from a reputed shopkeeper. He is in a 50 Gallon barebottom tank by himself with a canister filter. I have a little cave too where he can hide to make it feel more comfortable. I bought it 2 days ago and the shopkeeper delivered it himself after sending me a video on whatsapp. He is very active and roams around the tank, and bites few stones in the bottom but he is not showing any personality. My water perimeters are great as the tank is already cycled and I use Seachem safe after every weekly water changes.

The problem is he is not eating any Hikari pellets like Hikari Floating Bio gold or Hikari Massivore Delite. He bites them but a second later he spits them out and he doesn't eat it even after 2 hours. He eats freeze dried shrimps though and bloodworms. I asked the shopkeeper and he said he only fed him pellets and told me to starve it for 2 days and it will eat. Also when I try to make it to fellow my fingers, it completely ignores it and keeps on looking at top if there is any food even when there is pellets floating. I even bought the pellets which the shopkeeper was feeding but it takes them in its mouth, bites them and spits them out. Its weird as my other fishes in 350 Gallon gulps down the pellets completely and they are all eating Hikari pellets. Is there anything wrong with Hikari pellets? I also thought he might be blind but it does fellow food but not showing typical flowerhorn personality and no aggression towards me which I have seen in numerous shops and on youtube. At his size he should be a more interactive and should bite the fingers as soon you put them on the tank.

When I asked the shopkeeper, he said its only been 2 days, let him stay little longer and let him know its his territory and slowly he will show all the traits. But I am really confused as I really want it to be aggressive and fellow my fingers and also eat pellets. Do you think the shopkeeper is lying and he sold me a fish with no personality. Also earlier the flowerhorn was in a smaller tank. The fish is not showing any sickness symptoms but I feel its kinda blind when it ignores me. Please Help.

Kind Regards,
Additya

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Here are some images. The shopkeeper who is also a importer says is a AAA grade SRD Flowerhorn. Here is the link to the video which importer send me

IMG_0143.PNG

IMG_0144.PNG

IMG_0145.PNG

Last edited:

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Why? What will happen in 2 weeks? Also please answer about Hikari Pellets and flowerhorn not eating pellets?

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Thanks boomer. But guys its not a new born fish, its a 5-6" fish and I put it in a cycled tank and was earlier eating pellets. I know its a new environment but wow what happened suddenly and how did it lose its personality suddenly. Please can you tell me the reason.

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Thanks boomer. But guys its not a new born fish, its a 5-6" fish and I put it in a cycled tank and was earlier eating pellets. I know its a new environment but now what happened suddenly and how did it lose its personality suddenly. Please can you tell me the reason.

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
They can be shy its definitely good quality and size. A FH does not get to this size without eating. If he doesn't eant to eat do not leave leftover food in the tank, try one or 2 pellets twice a day. 2 or 3 weeks without eating is nothing. Make sure your temp is high around 28-30 degrees Celsius or between 82 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit

Reactions: TheLastKon
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store