New Jack Dempsey Tank Setup Help!

agcorb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2015
I am in the process of setting up a 60 gal tank with sand substrate decorated with rocks and driftwood. I really would like to get a Jack Dempsey, but also wanted to add some other fish to the tank. I wanted to ask opinions on if my stocking list would work, as depending on which fish I get is kind of how I want to setup my tank. So I was thinking. I was going to get all fish as babies and add them at around the same time. Any tips would really help me out. I have much experience with other fish, but have never had a JD before.

1 Jack Dempsey
1 Green Terror
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Pictus Catfish
12 Tiger Barbs

Please let me know if you think this would be ok or what a different stocking suggestion would work. I def want the Jack Dempsey included, but would rather it not be JUST him.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
The only problems I could see would be aggression between the Green terror and Jack Dempsey as they get older. I'd only do one of them because sooner or later there'll only be one left eventually. Also I think you should add on two or more pictus since they do better on groups rather than alone. Besides those two things your good to go IMO

Reactions: agcorb

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Just get the jack Dempsey and the tiger barbs.

Long term, your tank is over stocked.

Reactions: agcorb

agcorb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2015
The only problems I could see would be aggression between the Green terror and Jack Dempsey as they get older. I'd only do one of them because sooner or later there'll only be one left eventually. Also I think you should add on two or more pictus since they do better on groups rather than alone. Besides those two things your good to go IMO
Is there any other catfish that you might suggest that I could keep by itself with either a JD or Green Terror in a 60g?

agcorb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2015
What school of fish would you consider that I could keep with JD? I have read Giant Danios and Silver Dollars are good as schools, but wanted something with a bit more color.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Costly but you could try Denison barbs. Dither fish are hit and miss and their success depends on the individual cichlid they're with.

Reactions: convict360

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
If you want something active you could always always take a look at skunk loaches. I've had some with my jacks for two years. They're great little scavengers and fun to watch. You could do a group of six. They get to about 2 1/2 inches to 4. Personally mines never got past 2.

If you just want a catfish that would be purely a scavenger I'd recommend a Raphael catfish or two. The downside is that they're nocturnal. But they're a fun little catfish nonetheless.

A third option could be a sengal bichir if you want something strange yet interesting to watch. The downside here is that they're jumpers and will bail if they find a hole in the lid.

For a schooling fish I'd recommend giant Danios. They're cheap, get a nice size and are fun to watch. I'd get six or seven.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I believe the fish in the video with the jds are rhamdia quelen and poecilia mexicana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store