New Jack Dempsey Tank Setup Help!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are Gambusia yucatana (maybe) and Poecilia velifera, latipina or sphenops (Sailfin Mollies), and Rhamdia,
It seems to me where JDs are the male cichlid (most populace, or in the case of Cristalino, the only cichlid) they do very well.
When they are with other more dominent cichlids, such as uropthalmus, they tend to suffer a bit, as in this video below from a tiny satellite cenote next to Azul , click on pic to run.

Deansy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Saint Cloud, MN 56301
So, I have never had a JD before, but I do have 9 Tiger Barbs in with a BA in a 29 gallon, and knowing what I do about JDs I would say that the Tiger Barbs and the Jack would be fine. I mean you would just have to provide enough cover for them to hide. Tiger Barbs defiantly know how to take care of themselves.

Also, With the mixing of the GT and JD, it is hit and miss. Each fish has it's own personality and mix differently with different fish; could work, but also could fail miserably. If you do decide to do it, I would make sure you have a plan for one of them just in case is doesn't work out.

Reactions: Montelboom

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
So, I have never had a JD before, but I do have 9 Tiger Barbs in with a BA in a 29 gallon, and knowing what I do about JDs I would say that the Tiger Barbs and the Jack would be fine. I mean you would just have to provide enough cover for them to hide. Tiger Barbs defiantly know how to take care of themselves.

Also, With the mixing of the GT and JD, it is hit and miss. Each fish has it's own personality and mix differently with different fish; could work, but also could fail miserably. If you do decide to do it, I would make sure you have a plan for one of them just in case is doesn't work out.
This is interesting advice given that you haven't kept a JD...just saying.

What is a BA?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
also, in my experience tiger barbs do not know how to look after themselves; they will frolic in the open and explore basically everywhere in a tank, which is how they get murdered.

Deansy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Saint Cloud, MN 56301
This is interesting advice given that you haven't kept a JD...just saying.

What is a BA?
A BA is a Blue Acara. I wouldn't recommend them for Jacks. They aren't mean enough or big enough to deal with one. Convicts might work if you want something of similar size.

Also, I was just saying that tiger barbs aren't the worst option. They do frolic everywhere, but they are also fast. I mean really the jack could decide to just kill any schooling fish you put in there.

agcorb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2015
I almost have my tank ready for fish.

I have decided to not get the tiger barbs and maybe just do giant danios? That seems to be the safest route.

I think I will look into getting a school of loaches instead of the pictus catfish like someone had previously suggested. They had stated skunk loaches, but does anybody else have any insight on any other loaches? The only loach experience I have is with Zebra Loaches that I have in my 30g, they are a lot of fun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store