New pickup - Tigrinus

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Congrats... let's hope both of us make it...

I installed a bigger wavemaker hopefully to make it more comfortable as they supposedly prefer fast flowing water

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Managed to get my tig to eat half a market shrimp stuffed with pellet... had to wave the market shrimp at his mouth for more than a minute

Thereafter, he refuses any more shrimp... gonna try again today

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
You want to keep shellfish to a minimum with baby tigrinus. Fish filets and pellets are the move.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I would get it feeding on the prawns and then wean on to other foods, once it feels safe to eat it will eat most things. Stuffing with pellet is a good idea as the vitamins in it will counteract the thiamin in the prawn. Small worms will be a good supplement too, I have started using an aquarium vitamin to coat the food for my fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Excellent. Looks like you are making progress.

searching online for the nutritional value of earthworms but seems not to be able to find anything
Few foods are better than an earthworm in nutritional value.

I always thought catfish are gluttons looks like there is always an exception lol
A good portion are not that gluttonous. Brachyplatystoma genus, to which tig belongs, is catfish royalty. They feed with much dignity.

Is it a must to target Feed? Would prefer to throw the prawns in for all fishes at the same time..
Not a must at all. I throw in thawed fish (cut or whole) and pellets and my tigs choose what they want. Some take one kind, some both.

As Toby said above, thiaminase is of concern with shellfish diet. I'd not give it shellfish accounting for more than 1/4 of the whole diet.

And then, as Shookones started hinting, there is a group of keepers who swear that feeding shellfish to tigs kills them. See this thread for more info on that: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/help-with-tig-catfish.598702/

i just hope he eats fast.... looks a tad skinny to me...
They are slim built fish. A healhty tig is a slim tig.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

I did read the thread before feeding prawn. It is mentioned not to feed if the tig is below 12"

My intention to feed prawn is because the rest of my fishes are also eating prawn and also with prawn I can insert pellet for the tig to eat. And today these two days he was very acceptable in eating the prawns when I off tank light for feeding

Ultimate aim is to get it eating pellets.

As a comparsion, would half a shrimp with 1 hikari food stick inserted or 2-3 earthworms about 3 inches in length be more nutritional

This is roughly what he is eating once a day or once every 2 days

I also noticed after eating the prawn he is more active. Not sure is it just a coincidence that he is now more comfortable in the tank

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I would get it feeding on the prawns and then wean on to other foods, once it feels safe to eat it will eat most things. Stuffing with pellet is a good idea as the vitamins in it will counteract the thiamin in the prawn. Small worms will be a good supplement too, I have started using an aquarium vitamin to coat the food for my fish.
Sorry just saw your reply. Now he is eating half a shrimp with 1 pellet a day. Refuses to eat any more than that. For earthworms it will not be more than 3

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store