KingPram97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I'll start by saying the I've only used the forum once before so apologies if this is in the wrong place.Admins please feel free to move it.

Last year I asked everyone for advice on picking a personable/interactive wet pet that could live comfortably in a 3ft tank ( Interactive wet pet & appropriate tank size - KingPram). I ended up receiving a fancy goldfish from a relative before I could pick a fish and have had the goldfish for just over a year before his passing. I really enjoyed having the goldfish who would eat from my hands, beg for pats and follow me around my room as I worked. I got used to the weekly water changes and using all sorts of treatments/foods to keep my three goldfish healthy and happy. However I've decided against fancy goldfish again since they are overall fragile fish and have a range of health issues as they grow. My Oranda grew from 3cm to 20cm (8inches) in about a year. I'd prefer a cichlid who could reach the 10inch level although I understand they are much thicker/taller than a goldfish could get.

The tank I ended up buying is a 50gal, I believe it is known as a 50gal breeder. The dimensions being 36x18x18 inches or roughly 93x46x46cm (200L). I have 2x large canister filters (Aquis 1050 and 1250) as well as a large sponge filter, bubble wand, heater/thermometer, airpumps all the other good stuff you'd probably need at some point.

Once again I'm looking for a smart/personable fish that will eat from my hands and basically fill the wet pet role, hopefully enjoy being petted. Ideally happy to be alone and growing around the 10inch mark.
My options so far :
Texas Super Green (Or any texas cichlid)
Jack Dempsey ( Most likely shy and a garbage "wet pet")
Elec.Blue JD ( LFS has me on a short list for a shipment coming in 2 weeks. However I have heard they are very fragile and if thats the case I may as well go the Oranda route again)
Polleni or Black diamond cichlid
Severum (Any colour)
Salvini (Are they smart?)

Please let me know if you would recommend any of these fish, experiences or other options. Since I've never had a cichlid before I'm not sure if I'm dreaming when it comes to fitting a 10inch fish in this tank. If Flowerhorns, Oscars and R.Devils are an option please let me know but I'm pretty sure we ruled them out when I asked last year.

Cheers for the advice and bothering to read the essay

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Try a short body flowerhorn... hybrid cichlid with tons of personality and short body will keep him in the 10 inch range... alot of people keep flowerhorns in tanks those sizes! Supposedly they dont like big tanks and get scared? Lol I dont know that's what I've heard... I wouldn't keep one in that small of a tank but alot of people seem to have success with it so why not

KingPram97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2019
I spoke to the owner at one Lfs who regularly stocks Flowerhorns. Apparently its really hard to come by a genuine short body (like 6 plus months). But'll definitely look at it as an option. The tanks over filtered so if the space isnt too bad I know a flowehorn will definitely fit the wet pet category. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I think 36x18x18 would be adequate, but certainly not roomy, for a flowerhorn.

Nevermind the overfiltering. Just do frequent water changes! Your fishes health will be reflected in your diligence in maintenance.

KingPram97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2019
I think 36x18x18 would be adequate, but certainly not roomy, for a flowerhorn.

Nevermind the overfiltering. Just do frequent water changes! Your fishes health will be reflected in your diligence in maintenance.
Do you mean a normal flowerhorn or Short body? I can definitly keep up with water changes. I did weekly 30% changes with my goldfish so it won't be too difficult.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Normal or short body flowerhorn. Once/if it gets to 10" you might consider upgrading to a 75 gallon or larger, but i believe your tank will work if you cant do that. Just stick with the one fish too.

KingPram97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2019
My folks are happy to get a larger tank if I it comes to that. However it would need to be about 2 years down the road. Do you think the flowerhorn would have any stunting or hunchback issues in the mean time?

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Of all the ones on your list I'd have to say the Polleni would be the best as far as a wet pet personality. I've kept all those you listed at one time or another. I've had 3 Polleni and all have been very outgoing. The green Texas, jd and salvini I've had have all been very shy and like to hide. Although I have to say the EBJD I have now is very personable and will always greet me at the front of the tank. I've kept several severum and they are hit and miss. The Sev I have now is very shy. A 3 foot tank may be a bit tight though. 4 ft or longer tank would work better for an adult Polleni.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Ya o have 2 adult Jack's... they're not very exciting if you watch the tank for a long period of time but will always come up to the glass and top of tank in excitement for food and will always eat right out of the hand... but flowerhorn is the way to go for fun and a tank of that size... again a short body or bonsai is best for that size tank imo and they shouldn't be hard to find...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store