Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I almost broke my party animal coffee cup getting this shot when I flicked the stepstool with my flip-flop.
50AA57E5-5FF5-47C5-B954-B33700395BC3.jpeg
Later yesterday, I broke my favorite cup when I set it on that same stool. Grrrr....Well it was hot out there and I’ve had to quit working rather early in the day.

Also, on a theory that viruses don’t survive well in the desert, I have been braving the heat every day to complete my woodworking project. Or perhaps I’m just a stubborn old geezer.

But what’s wrong with my thermometer?
0AACF714-91B6-4EBF-9DA3-9AA3A60C7D82.jpeg
I’m not kidding. When I saw it, I thought to myself :duh: Do you see it?

I’m not talking about how hot it is. I’m talking about the design of the thermometer itself. This is some seriously dopey stuff.

Reactions: tarheel96

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I almost broke my party animal coffee cup getting this shot when I flicked the stepstool with my flip-flop.
View attachment 1429139
Later yesterday, I broke my favorite cup when I set it on that same stool. Grrrr....Well it was hot out there and I’ve had to quit working rather early in the day.

Also, on a theory that viruses don’t survive well in the desert, I have been braving the heat every day to complete my woodworking project. Or perhaps I’m just a stubborn old geezer.

But what’s wrong with my thermometer?
View attachment 1429138
I’m not kidding. When I saw it, I thought to myself :duh: Do you see it?

I’m not talking about how hot it is. I’m talking about the design of the thermometer itself. This is some seriously dopey stuff.
Put me down on the dopey list too. Please enlighten me, what's the design flaw?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
.....(socialize in low places)?

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
It's about the artistic design of the face. Nobody sees this glaring design faux pas?
I think it's the colours don't match with the high numbers.
Either way that's a very hot day to be working outside.

.....(socialize in low places)?
Such an old fashioned sounding term, maybe Ulu Ulu means visiting jazz clubs to drink espresso and smoke cigarettes with beatniks or attending a youth club where some of the longer haired kids have been known to listen to the Beatles and be late for school occasionally.

Weren't you a skater in the 70s Ulu Ulu ? I would imagine you had some wild times back then.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I think it's the colours don't match with the high numbers.
YES! I knew someone with artistic sense would wander by!
Instead of using the "color wheel" correctly, the artist used a "color semi-circle", then mirrored it about the x axis.
So 140F is the same color as 70F.
Whatta Maroon...

Either way that's a very hot day to be working outside.
Fortunately, I was never in the sun, as I have big tarps, 10' in the air over the boatyard.

But I was nearly naked, working in just khaki shorts and sandals. Good Lord . . . I hadn't shaved in 2 weeks until yesterday. Any civilized sod would have thought I'd "gone native". LOL

I did put on a face shield when using the bench grinder. It throws chit about 50 MPH.
I can take a wire in the arm or chest . . . even the nads . . . but not in the eye! :shakehead

Such an old fashioned sounding term . . .
Now days kids might say, "a crack house" or similar.
Now I'm not making any accusations here, so please don't get excited.

. . . maybe Ulu Ulu means visiting jazz clubs to drink espresso and smoke cigarettes with beatniks or attending a youth club where some of the longer haired kids have been known to listen to the Beatles and be late for school occasionally.
Much, much lower I am afraid. . . .

Life was much more like hanging with Ken Kesey and Hells Angels, except I had faster bikes and no tattoos (and no arrests either!) Also I had a day job programming CNC & drawing complex roof truss systems, so I had to maintain my sanity. Still, I used to go to The Bomb Shelter. Los Dorados MC drank there in the early 70's. Angels drank there too sometimes. I had a hot Ford and a hot bike. 903cc & tuned. I used to be a roadie (nights and weekends) for some hopped up rockers, but I never drove the truck. Trips home on the bike were often serious adventures. Anyhow I've indulged in things I wouldn't advise other humans to try. Chances of survival aren't attractive at all. I was simply one lucky duck.

Those days are long gone now, but some day I'll have an extra scotch and tell you a story about stair climbing hot choppers, acid fueled wiring, chromatic skull diagrams, switch inversion theory, and high RPM drag pipes in the concrete bunker. (huh? . .what???)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
KFC will no longer use their "finger lickin good" slogan due to concerns that some patrons could actually contract COVID 19 as a result of licking their mitts.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Back in the early 1960's I was a helper on a Coca Cola delivery truck. The route was out of Middlesboro KY to Corbin KY. We delivered to the first KFC in Corbin. I met Harlan Sanders. Maybe I should say we were in the same building at the same time. He was not yet the iconic image later made notable when he managed to go national. That first place is still in business in Corbin, well at least it was a few months ago.
I do like their chicken. I also usually get the chicken livers.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Chicken livers? I dont recall seeing that as a KFC menu item.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store