Ornate Bichir

jujube96

Feeder Fish
Oct 11, 2017
Hi everyone.

I wish to enquire something.

I have had my ornate bichir for quite a while now and earlier after I got back from work, I realised that there was a lump underneath my ornate bichir mouth.

it is worrying me a lot as I am unsure of it. Yesterday night before I went to sleep, I fed my bichir small live catfish. Unsure whether it is just food stuck or something else.

Please assist. Many thanks

20171011_163249.jpg 20171011_163147.jpg 20171011_163249.jpg 20171011_163147.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like a growth of some kind. Looks vascular a bit too.

Would watch and see if it's growing? As long as the ornate acting normal would just watch. If it's growing then maybe get a vet to asses as it may need to be removed.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone.

I wish to enquire something.

I have had my ornate bichir for quite a while now and earlier after I got back from work, I realised that there was a lump underneath my ornate bichir mouth.

it is worrying me a lot as I am unsure of it. Yesterday night before I went to sleep, I fed my bichir small live catfish. Unsure whether it is just food stuck or something else.

Please assist. Many thanks

View attachment 1278930 View attachment 1278931 View attachment 1278930 View attachment 1278931

What type of live catfish? Most Catfish have spines that may have caused the injury when Ornate ate it.

Reactions: magpie and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
What type of live catfish? Most Catfish have spines that may have caused the injury when Ornate ate it.
Good point. Didn't see the live catfish part.

Reactions: tlindsey

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Yeah, I'm betting it's the live catfish, stuck there or a part is, or at least he got poked really well. :(

I'm not sure what you can do, maybe others have ideas? Should he use salt to help the wound part?

These guys don't need live food except maybe earthworms. Prepared fish is better as it won't carry disease like live feeders can, and in this case won't harm your fish.

I hope he pulls through!

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
Looks like a barb sting to me. Probably would have died if the catfish was logged in the throat by now, or spat it out.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
May try to open its mouth and see if there's something stuck in its mouth. Tweezers and a good light should work.

Has it eaten at all since? Acting normal?

Reactions: magpie

jujube96

Feeder Fish
Oct 11, 2017
May try to open its mouth and see if there's something stuck in its mouth. Tweezers and a good light should work.

Has it eaten at all since? Acting normal?
he is still alive but he seems to be breathing quite heavily. and unable to swim to the surface much now. kind of worried. I'm feeding bloodworms now and I've stopped feeding them live feeders.

jujube96

Feeder Fish
Oct 11, 2017
Yeah, I'm betting it's the live catfish, stuck there or a part is, or at least he got poked really well. :(

I'm not sure what you can do, maybe others have ideas? Should he use salt to help the wound part?

These guys don't need live food except maybe earthworms. Prepared fish is better as it won't carry disease like live feeders can, and in this case won't harm your fish.

I hope he pulls through!

he is still alive but he seems to be breathing quite heavily. and unable to swim to the surface much now. kind of worried. I'm feeding bloodworms now and I've stopped feeding them live feeders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store