oscar with goldfish???

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
in a month I'm going to get a 150 gallon tank, as an upgrade for my turtles and fish.
i have two turtles, both are very slow and have been compatible with any fish i have ever put in the tank (including cichlids). In the 150 ill have:
2 turtles
1 pleco
and three 8 inch goldfish
i want to know if i could add 1 or 2 oscar cichlids (noting these fish would be very small when i get them, and the goldfish very large), and they wouldn't hurt anyone or get hurt in this tank.

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
another idea would be to give away the goldfish and replace them with oscar/oscars.
would this be ok?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
but the oscar would be fine with the other tank mates (turtles and pleco), right?
also should i get 1 or two oscars??
Sorry thought you were going to just add the Goldfish. The Turtle should be excluded also. The Pleco could also cause concerns if it is a Common Pleco.
Oscars need optimum water conditions and those 3 species could make it very difficult to keep the aquarium parameters stable and high Nitrate level will result in Hole in the head disease aka HITH which Oscars and some other soft water species from SA are prone too if water isn't pristine at all times.

Reactions: james99

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What size turtles?
If the oscars are "tiny", they could easily be eaten by the turtles.
And I agree with Tom, both turtles and goldfish (and oscars) produce copious amounts of waste, that quickly degrade water quality, causing disease conditions for oscars, without large daily water changes.

Reactions: tlindsey

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
the goldfish were originally feeder fish for the turtles, and when we got them the goldfish were only about half an inch each. I know goldfish are slow movers, and the turtles didn't have any interest in them or chase them, and with hiding spots provided, i think the small oscar will be fine. if i was to get rid of the goldfish, i could get a larger oscar (i only wanted a small oscar so that it wouldn't hurt the goldfish). The turtles are currently about 7-8 inches each. if not oscars, would you have any recommendations of other medium- large fish that would work? thank you!

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
i think i've decided no oscars. Im going to have enough work with the 150 as it is. Thanks to all of you for helping me! :)

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store